• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Feb 12th Little Sahara Sand Dunes

So the sand is not soft except on the climbs so I wont just dig holes all over the place...

Sounds like fun, will like to see how my tires work on the sand. since you have 4.88 gears and I am stock gears with 33's sounds like I will be in 4-low most the time.. :)

It's soft everywhere but if you air your tires down you pretty much float over it. On the hills you dig in because there isn't as much traction, not so much that it's any softer.

In addition, the sand is more firm and offers better traction in the winter months due to the moisture content. Sunny sides of the dunes typically have less traction than the shady sides for this reason, but you can typically offset the reduced traction with mo..........mentum. :)

IMG_3026-1.jpg

Just come out and have fun.....
littlesahara09_13.jpg

Last edited:
Will do!

Sorry to hear that Jared, I was hoping to see the debut of your D60 equipped Durango.

I'm sorry to hear it too. I wouldn't go if they weren't making it worth our while. It's just hard to say "no thanks" to a 50% raise these days...

D60's under Durangos are so 2000's... the 20-teens are looking more like something LS-powered with go-fast suspension.

This a permanent move?

Tucson isn't so bad other than the summer heat. Lots of beautiful country to explore down that way.

My goal is 3 years or less down there. My Ogden position will be filled when I leave and it may be hard to find a position back at home when I'm ready to return. But, I will certainly be moving back as close as I can. On a positive note the high was 64*F today in Tucson, and Moab is still feasible at 10 hours away.

Jared:patriot:

If you guys have not been to the annual dune run, just do it. You will NOT regret it and will have the time of your lives. We were screwing around on the sand in the Dakota for about 20 minutes last weekend, and I probably had more fun in those 20 minutes than I did the rest of the day on the Suzuki. It is literally like no other wheeling you will ever experience.

Last edited:
i'm in, i got a few bugs to fix from crawlfest but i'll definitely be there.

just a reminder DON'T FORGET YOUR FLAGS! jared or jeff might be able to help with this since i haven't been to the dunes since oct. of '98. but the flags used to cost 25.00 there. if you don't have one they are anywhere from 8-12 dollars at an ATV shop.

also i will be bringing calendars for those that want some.

Last edited:
Sweet! It sounds like my dad wants to go... If anybody needs a flag we have tons and we usually bring a couple extras incase we have one break. Mounting them takes a drill or some zip-ties + creativity. :D

weird map-quest shows different mileage haha

i'll be going down redwood rd the whole way so if anyone wants to meet in lehi we can meet at the crossroads thinking 8am

http://mapq.st/h2As4V

i'm going with mapquest its quicker :laugh3:

The best route to the dunes will forever be debated......I took the Redwood route last year, pretty flat if you're towing but not ideal if want to move fast.

I wrote off mapquest years ago, sent me on one too many wild goose chases.

The best route to the dunes will forever be debated......I took the Redwood route last year, pretty flat if you're towing but not ideal if want to move fast.

I wrote off mapquest years ago, sent me on one too many wild goose chases.

true......i like the route down redwood cause after the corn fields you can open it up and not have to worry til eureka, plus its got whoops in the highway that make towing kinda fun :D

and yea mapquest does send you everywhere but where you need to be. i just pulled it up out of curiosity.

Back