• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sick Dog Racing Jeepspeed Build

Larrythedog

NAXJA Forum User
Well here i go, starting my Jeepspeed build. My donor Jeep is a 1987 four door XJ 4X4, with a 4.0.
0711091011newjeep.jpg

It had some front end damage but I got it for a song.
0711091011bnewjeep.jpg

Interior Gutted and seats mocked up.
IMG_0955.jpg

Seat mounts
IMG_1131.jpg

Had to make some slight adjustments to the floor to get the seats to fit
IMG_1127.jpg

Seat in and starting on the cage mounting plates.
IMG_1360.jpg

A Piller mounting plate
IMG_1364.jpg

B Piller mounting plate
IMG_1371.jpg

B and C pillers
IMG_1365.jpg

D Piller mounting plates
IMG_1369.jpg

I started installing my new full traction 6" kit today. I've done a lot of reading on this kit and in my opion its the best long arm kit for your money.
IMG_0965.jpg

Started with the LCA mount. I wanted to renforce this mount and tie it into the cage mounts as well as the front spring mount on the rear axle. I fabed some bushings to weld through the frame then weld it on both sides of the frame rail to help spread the load.
IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

I then bolted bosses to the frame.
IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

The whole stiffener is removable and is tied into the front leaf spring mount with a 1/2" bolt. I plated the front leaf spring a little, but I plan to replace these mounts with the Poly Pro mounts after I get some seat time.
IMG_0999.jpg

I have a new found respect for anybody who has welded on these unibodys. :eek:

Where you pounded in the hump on the drivers side; is that going to cause a clearance problem for the transfer case, or are you converting to 2wd only and it's not an issue,..

Lookin good! Glad to add another to the crew that fabs and dont buy everything and bolt it on

Where you pounded in the hump on the drivers side; is that going to cause a clearance problem for the transfer case, or are you converting to 2wd only and it's not an issue,..

No real clearance problem. Just about every Jeepspeep build has to massage the floor to get the head clearance needed. It will be run in 2WD with a 2WD front beam, but I'm still using the transfer case. I like the idea of running 4X4 for the rougher/longer races.

Looks good , nice engineering. If you get tired of the longarm part of the kit let me know :) .

Thanks. If I do you'll be the first I call. :shocked:

Lookin good! Glad to add another to the crew that fabs and dont buy everything and bolt it on

Thanks. I'm pretty much locked into that "do-as-much-as-I-can" mind-set. I would love to just hand someone 50K and say "build me this". But times are tough and I have to make every penny count. The cage will be the only part of this build not done by myself. I'm having M&D Motor Sports in Iwrindale CA do all the cage work.

No real clearance problem,... ..., It will be run in 2WD with a 2WD front beam, but I'm still using the transfer case. I like the idea of running 4X4 for the rougher/longer races.
:thumbup:
Just curious about clearance. My buddy has the T-case hump completely cut out and filled in on his 2wd MJ racer, we've been arguing about weather or not a T-case will still fit under the seat. (he's thinking about a 4wd conversion)

And ya, I hear ya on the lack of space to make everything fit. Just feel luck you don't have a cab close out 4" behind the front seat.

Larry,
I still have my old rear bumper. You can have it if it saves you some time/work. Your ealy on in your build, so it could easily be bolted up to your car.
Let me know, either someone gets it or I have to chop it up.
Located in Lake Elsinore.
Thanks,
Eric

Sure, thanks that will help. Can I come by Monday?

Last edited:
im in your neighbor hood if ya need a hand.

Tying the B piller bottom cage mounts to the front leaf spring mount.
IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

Tying A and B piller bottom cage mounts
IMG_1006.jpg

Tying into the A piller bottom cage mount.
IMG_1004.jpg

Tying in to the trans crossmember.
IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1007.jpg

I just spent all day at the Hesperia Pick-a-Part. It was half off weekend. Got some parts for my build.
99 Durango steering box
IMG_1401.jpg

Trans cooler out of a late model Frod Bronco.
IMG_1399.jpg

Cooling fans out of a 90s Toyota Four runner.
IMG_1400.jpg

93 HO head and late model Ford Bronco rear drive shaft.
IMG_1397.jpg

Got it all for under $130 I'm such a tight azz. ;D

are you planning on puttin that drive shaft in the jeep? id be curious to see if it works...

are you planning on puttin that drive shaft in the jeep? id be curious to see if it works...

Its roughly the same length as a stock shaft and uses the same u-joints as the XJ. It might work. I read here somewhere that some one used one out of a late model Bronco. That why i started looking for one.

I did'nt buy it for a direct bold on. I plan on taking it to my local drive line shop and have him build a new drive shaft out of it. He's pretty cheap if I bring him a shaft that close.

sweet! i havent even though about lookin for driveshafts from other trucks. i need one though. this stock 2wd shaft is gonna have to go soon...

Back