• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Tiptronic Controller

Fletchs90xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
I just finished development on a manual push button shift controller for the AW4. It also has a torque converter output and output for a 7seg led display.
If anyones interested email me for a copy of my schematic.

PS. the project is a little involved to build.

Fletch

It's been requested that the following link be added to this poist - http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAutoSwitch.htm

It seems that Marcus has been hosting the schematic for this project for a bit, and this should save wear on Fletch's email addy... So, if you want the schema, click the link. I'm sure Fletch is willing to answer questions about the schematic - but you should have a copy by then...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to let you know..........its been done.......just missed the boat.

PM BrettM on this board

Fletchs90xj said:
It also has a torque converter output

What exactly do you mean by 'torque converter output'?

Torque converter controll

"CartsXJ - Just to let you know..........its been done.......just missed the boat. "

thanks for the input.

Sounds cool, but like was mentioned, BrettM kinda cornered the market on that product a few years back. I don't think he has a 7-seg output though.

What's the brains of it, some sort of latch/register logic?

bunch of wire switchs, and a bunch of little black bits ;)

really...
AND, NOR, NOT logic gates and U/D BDC

I know about Brett's device. Probably very similar. But I thought I'd put this out there for those that can put parts together and want to save some dogh. Sorry for posting an old idea.

Last edited:
what's wrong with making a similar product with a different approach? if all of your logic with regard to "it's already been done" applied to the last 100 or so years of technology, we'd still be driving model T fords or something. let the guy do his thing. if it sucks, big deal! if it's awesome, hey - something new for the jeeping community. i don't see a problem with it.

Fletchs90xj said:
really...
AND, NOR, NOT logic gates and U/D BDC

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured. I remember doing all that truth table and logic reduction, it's neat stuff.

I wouldn't mind seeing the schematic you came up with. I'm a big nerd when it comes to building stuff.

All the hostility....

I suppose you people would jump on someones post that says "Here's a pic of my cherokee with 4.5 inches of lift and 35's" and tell them... It's been done?

He came up with someone cool and wanted to share. He's not even trying to sell it.

I want to see how it works BTW!

Jeep914x4 said:
All the hostility....

I suppose you people would jump on someones post that says "Here's a pic of my cherokee with 4.5 inches of lift and 35's" and tell them... It's been done?

He came up with someone cool and wanted to share. He's not even trying to sell it.

I want to see how it works BTW!

Hey - that's all I did...

I'd have gently said a version of it has been done already (to save him the trouble...) but isn't variety the spice of life? I've been wanting to drive a 7-segment at least off of the solenoid outputs (DAC/line demux) so I know what gear I'm in when I'm in D and cruising anyhow - and, as I'd said, no need to reinvent the wheel here...

I'm an electronics tech - not an electronics designer. Once it's built, I can usually fix it - and if get a design, I can probably build it. I just have a hard time working from whole cloth...

5-90

Fletchs90xj said:
Hey guys,
I just finished development on a manual push button shift controller for the AW4. It also has a torque converter output and output for a 7seg led display.
If anyones interested email me for a copy of my schematic.

PS. the project is a little involved to build.

Fletch

You have a PM

Got your PM, and it's definitely a very nice design.

I'm gonna look it over more tomorrow, but I'll definitely give you credit for a quality solution for the Aw4 thing. Simple logic gates are very powerful and practical when used in the proper sequence.

Is this something you're currently using in your rig? Any comments as to the performance?

FWIW, I run a 5-speed, and I will never run an automatic trans in one of my trail rigs. I just like seeing design work turn into fabrication into real-world testing, be it something that's welded together or something that's soldered together.

It has been an idea of mine for a few years now to make this but just never got around to it. Always hated how I couldn't choose second gear when I wanted it. So I installed the switch couple months ago and when I found out how the solenoids did the shifting a came up with this on my lunch brake at work. Then I started putting parts I had around my workbench together and perfected it. Then I finaly got around to putting the schematic into the putter. Its nice to have the gear selectability offroad, but not have to worry about a clutch. Anyway it works well for me and I thought I'd share it. This forum has given me lots of info over the years so I thought I'd return the favour.

Fletch

90 XJ ,4.0 ,AW4 w/Tip ,242
D30 Currie HP9 disc all round
4.10 ARB both ends
OBA, Xantrex 1750+
Dual Optima
K&N, Safari Snorkel
8" lift Rancho9000x w/in-cab
35"MTRs
M8000 multi mount

I'd also like to take a look at that.
I started work on one of these when I was going to put an AW4 in my junk. Ended up sticking with the AX-15.
but I'm curious to see if I was headed the same direction as you, with basic logic gates.

The last time I did any electronics it was a transistorized Heathkit 27" CRT color TV, "with only two tubes in the power supply." I still have trouble with the idea of a "hole" representing a positively charged electron, if that is actually what it means. Would you send me a schematic and let me see if I can make any sense of it. Heck, it only took 13 weeks to make the TV work. Maybe I could break my old record.

Last edited:
Back