• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broken lower rear shock mount

rnpilot8030

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I have searched but can't find the answer I am looking for. My left lower rear shock mount on my 8.25 axle broke off and twisted. Was going to take it to my local mechanic to have it welded back on as I do not have the skills or welder to do this. The problem is the bracket is all bent up. Is there anywhere I can purchase this bracket or should I be looking for after market brackets and just replace both sides? I have OME shocks and approx 4" of lift. Thanks for the help.

Matt

well you have a few options to repair this.
you could cut some old mounts off another axle and have them welded up a little higher as shown on GoJeeps website. That will help in the future so this problem doesn't happen again.
I just cut my old ones off and ordered some new mounts from RuffStuff, who advertises on here. I got them the other day and plan on putting them on in a few days.
hope that helps a bit.

You mean like this?
Kingston8-21-06055.jpg

Since I can't see what it looks like, would there be any way you could heat it up and then bang it back to resemble something along the lines of what the bracket should look like, then have it welded back on.

M.O.R.E. has stock style brackets.

Boy, now I regret complaining about seized underbody bolts. Looks like I had it easy.

We need pics to be able to be any real help in accessing how easily this can be welded back together or if it would be easier to try find a replacement to weld in.

I'd try fitting the pieces back together by hand and see how straight they appear, if its mangled, I'd look into cutting off or finding a replacement piece. If they fit together straight and look normal, then I get someone to weld the broken pieces back together.

Luckily its a shock mount, it is important its straight and very close to the right line up, but you should be able to get by with it being a little off, it doesn't have to be absolutely perfectly lined up.

sounds like a good time to cut off the other one off and weld them back on higher and allow for more clearance.

beakie said:
well you have a few options to repair this.
you could cut some old mounts off another axle and have them welded up a little higher as shown on GoJeeps website. That will help in the future so this problem doesn't happen again.
I just cut my old ones off and ordered some new mounts from RuffStuff, who advertises on here. I got them the other day and plan on putting them on in a few days.
hope that helps a bit.

These are the bracket we designed for rigs with this problem......does away with single shear at the same time.....
Axle%20Side%20Shock%20Bracket.jpg

I hope it helps.......$24 is a small price to pay to do it right.

Dan Fredrickson
Ruffstuff Specialties

Back