• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering wheel off after wheeling

BenXJCA

NAXJA Forum User
I am running the stock steering setup. I just had my jeep aligned and the steering wheel adjusted to centerline steering. After going wheeling today the steering wheel is off about 1 clock position. All of the steering components are new except the adjusting sleeve and the tie rod. Nothing is bent.
Any ideas?
TIA

either you screwed up your steering box or your draglink adjuster sleeve just slipped out of adjustment. Or possibly, wheeling caused the front end to settle a bit.
Point your wheels straight forward and adust your draglink sleeve till your wheel is straight. It won't affect anything else.

Look more closely. If it was straight before and it isn't straight now, something either bent or got knocked out of position.

Lazy bones here finally got around to adjusting the steering wheel position today (lift completed a week ago). I was surprised to find how "loose" the drag link sleeve strap bolts were. After I finished bringing the steering wheel back to centre I snugged them up nice an tight. Not a comforting thought, having "loose" steering components - whatever they are.

Mine does the same thing. It gets off of center after 'wheeling it hard. It usually goes away after a little on-road driving. Just as a precaution,though,I always get under there and check all my steering stuff,and especially the track bar mount,which is notorious for the bolts working loose while off roading.

Mine did that after coming down off a couple ledges. Knocked alignment all out of wack. Funny thing, though it still tracked straight on the highway just like yours. My adjustment sleeve was later found to be very loose also.

Another thing to think about, but I don't really know how to check it accurately is the bend in the drag-link. XJ and TJ drag-links like to flatten out the bend that allows the drag-link toclear the sway-bar tab, thus causing your steering wheel to come out of center. Last summer I realized that the TRE from the tie-rod was hitting the bolt of the trac-bar at the axle. That is my guess since you just went wheeling.

Deisel said it right, the draglink is bending (or straighening out) at the big curve area. This the biggest problem with the basic steering design of the XJ/TJ. Some guys will gusset this area to help prevent this or go to a HD setup like the Currie linkage.

mark
orgs mfg

Oh yah, to fix it just lossen the adjuster clamps andturn the sleeve until your steering wheel is back in place. Make sure your wheels are pointing straight first. Drive back and forth until you think they are straight then do the adjustment. You might need to drive it between fine adjustments.

mark
orgs mfg

I've determined that my drag link is bent. It's bent right above where the tie rod attaches to it. Does this affect the toe?
Today while driving into a rather steep driveway I had the steering wheel at full right lock and when I proceeded into the drive way I heard a loud clunk on the right side. what was the clunk? But now my steering wheel is back to the straight ahead while going straight ahead. WTF is going on? Anyone, anyone?
Enlighten me please.
TIA

The factory drag link "is" bent back towards the rear just outside of the tie rod,is this what your talking about?It sounds like your trackbar is moving(real common even when it appears tight).

Most all of the factory hardware has a "loose" fit.One of the reasons is because they use "extruded" threads,which means the shank has a reduced diameter as compared to the threads.The best thing everyone can do is buy bolts with full shanks,in either american or metric whichever fits best!Ive got no play with these sizes:

LCA's>9/16"
Tracbar>7/16"

Last edited:
the tie rod is bent above the tie rod. It is bent downward, towards the tie rod. I don't know if this helps. But that is all I can see that is wrong.

Check the for sale board. There is a Rusty's HD steering set up there.

I just took my rustys HD steering off because it was hitting the track bar bolt.

Did you have it over the knuckle or under? I guess that "block" where the drag link comes down could get in the way.

I had it under the knuck. Over the knuckle would hit the sway bar mounts. This off shoot of the real problem isn't going to solve anything I am asking what it could be with the stock steering.

cough...Tracbar... cough...

You may have a bad tracbar or it may be loose it will also cause what you have described. Or at least it did in mine.

Back