• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 Transfer Case Tech

The 242 in the ZJ is the same exact case as the 96+ XJ.

And it won't bolt up into a 91-95. The input shaft depth is too shallow.

I got a '93 from a JY to replace mine when it grenaded on the trail and ended up swapping the back half onto the front half of the original '91 to go home.

Hi Kittrell, but don't you know the NP242 AMC same the mine?

Master7

You likely have this case. The 242AMC and 242 J are the same case. It is just a nomenclature change from when Chrylser took over AMC.

Early 21 spline input w/internal slip yoke, this came in 1990 and down XJ's.

20170318102644-dff2c2ea-me.jpg

Yes i know, but into, there is a different chain to 242J, it was mount for the XJ ECE, export in Europe, for need more silence.

Master7

Yes, there is a different chain for the European 242. I am sorry if I missed a question you were asking. I did not post about the European version as it is not pertinent to 99.9% of our members.

Ok it is not a problem just imagine! I very well this Thread :http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1122820&page=2
bed where the 242ece with its HV-061 chain is mentioned several times, my problem is that I'm doing
a rebuild to my tc NP242 AMC and I also wanted to replace the chain but it is difficult to retrieve it, maybe it's out of stock . I wanted to ask if maybe it is possible to replace it with another but with round pins instead of rocker joint. Master7

Ok it is not a problem just imagine! I very well this Thread :http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1122820&page=2
bed where the 242ece with its HV-061 chain is mentioned several times, my problem is that I'm doing
a rebuild to my tc NP242 AMC and I also wanted to replace the chain but it is difficult to retrieve it, maybe it's out of stock . I wanted to ask if maybe it is possible to replace it with another but with round pins instead of rocker joint. Master7

the EU chain is the same as Police Package XJ used. But you can use the standard chain also.

Okay, I follow now. The ECE chains can definitely be difficult to find. As Indian indicated you can use the standard chain in your case.

And for visual sake, here is a side by side of a 242 compared to a 231. I was skeptical that the 242 was THAT much bigger until I saw them side by side

I'm me again sorry. I was trying to order the standard chain HV-028 but this site but gave birth to a doubt, because it says that the HV-028 is not compatible with NP242ECE like mine that mount a HV-061 chain. The Indian had written that it was possible to put the HV-028 standard time do you think I should do? Thanks again for patience and my best regards.

Master7

Here the site :

• FITS NP242 & NP244 EQUIPPED JEEP & DODGE:

• JEEP CHEROKEE, GRAND CHEROKEE, & WAGONEER '87-'04 4.0L & 4.7L EXCEPT '01-'03 4.7L GRAND CHEROKEE WITH NP242HD (MARKED 242 WJ ON I.D. TAG)
  • DODGE DAKOTA & DURANGO '98-'00 3.9L & 4.7L
  • HV-028
  • MOPAR 4638890
  • JEEP 83504575
  • NEW VENTURE GEAR 16418
  • MADE IN THE USA
  • 24 MONTH LIMITED MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY
  • 1" Wide (2.54cm), 36 LINKS, 72 PITCHES, .5033" Pitch, Rocker Pins
  • WITH ONE BLUE LINK
  • DOES NOT FIT EUROPEAN JEEP NP242ECE.
  • DOES NOT FIT NP242JK EQUIPPED JEEP LIBERTY: SEE OUR ITEM HV-062
  • DOES NOT FIT '01-'03 4.7L GRAND CHEROKEE WITH NP242HD (MARKED 242 WJ SEE OUR HV-063
  • WE SHIP EVERY WEEKDAY FROM WAREHOUSES NATIONWIDE. MOST ORDERS ARE DELIVERED WITHIN TWO TO FIVE BUSINESS DAYS IN THE CONTINENTAL U.S.

Last edited:
This is the most useful thread I've seen on the 242. Thank you.
After weeks of reading through forum posts (some over 50 pages!), I still don't have an answer to a basic question, but I feel like the author of this thread would know.

You will sometimes find people saying the V8-WJ version 242HD (long input shaft, 32 spline output yada yada) "ONLY" came in 02-03 WJ's with a V-8. Some of us know this is not true. Some of us also know that the ID tags have said many different things, and not always "HD", yet they still have the 32-spline long tailcone.
I bought a "242 WJ", from a 2000 V-8 WJ (seen with my own eyes). It has all the characteristics of a v-8 WJ HD version. The only noticeable difference in the front output CV flange, instead of later yoke versions (obviously easily changed, as is common on the 247).

My question for someone more knowledgable is why are people saying "only" found in an 02-03? Is this earlier HD, 32 spline version different in any other way (that makes a performance difference) besides the front driveshaft yoke?
As in, perhaps it's not a 1.25" chain? perhaps something different?
Again, I don't care about different front yokes, different electrical connectors, or speedos; I've searched for a month to no avail why people say ONLY from an 02-03, so I'm trying to figure out if this "242 WJ" case from a 2000 (manufactured 11/23/1999) is inferior to the 02-03's in any structural/internal way?

I might of missed it reading through this, but what's the difference between the European(police package) and standard chain?

Saved this thread to my favorites. I'm on the hunt for a 91-95 242 to swap in place of my slowing dying 231, lots of good info in here.

I've located a 98 ZJ with a 242 behind a 4.0L. Is swapping into my 95 XJ an option? If I'm reading the tech pages early in this thread right it should have a slip yoke rear like a 97+ XJ. Are the inputs the same? I currently have the shifter pieces I need to do the swap just need the transfercase itself. My 95 is 4.0L/AW4/NP231 currently. Just rebuilt the NP231 two weeks ago because I gave up hope finding a 242 locally.

I have a 1994 xj with tag 242 j serial looks to be (need to clean it better) 53005099. Here is the odd part, it has a 3 bolt tail shaft and 2wd. from what I gather this does not exist from your post. I am going to need to rebuilt it soon as the bearings are beginning to give off a whirring noise. Considering it has 304,000 miles on it. I think it has held up well. But with this info, what rebuild kit do I go with. It's my only vehicle so I need to get it right the first time. Just to point out, it is not the rear end, I just finished rebuilding that last week.

Back