• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hardware for Attaching to Factory H.O. Era Roof Bars

Anak

Stranger
NAXJA Member
I stumbled across some square U-bolts that worked especially well for this application and thought I should share the information for anyone else who may be looking to do something similar.

Tacoma Screw Products has P/N 158-101-1, described as "3/8" x 1-1/2" x 2" Square Bend U-Bolts — Steel, Zinc"

Linky: http://www.tacomascrew.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5543/.f

These are a snug fit around the factory bars, almost so snug that I rejected them as a possibility until I test fit them in several different places on different bars. Whether the differences in the factory bars are the result of age/abuse or of loose factory tolerances I don't know, but I was able to get these onto the factory bars with a little finesse and persuasion (just by hand, no BFH required) in the tight places. In other places they went over the bars effortlessly.

The 1 1/2" dimension is the distance between the legs, and the 2" dimension is the length.

It was not until I was disassembling things that I remembered I wanted to take pictures, so these pictures show a state of nearly removed. The 2" length gave me enough thread to fit an SAE washer and Nylock nut over 3/4" plywood and have 1-2 threads above the nut.

Pics:

XJHDWR4FactoryBars5OPT.jpg

And:

XJHDWR4FactoryBars6OPT.jpg

Hopefully this will save someone else a hunt.

Nice, thanks for posting, I've been looking for a solution like that. I bought a set of U-shaped ones, but they don't work very well.

I resorted to drilling holes in the crossbars, but the bars aren't very strong to begin with so I don't like that option.

I started with some U-shaped ones, but I could tell they weren't going to be what I needed, so I took the Jeep to the hardware store and they let me take pieces out to fit check them in the parking lot.

Sorry for bumping an old thread but my crossbars are a little wider closer to 2.25". It looks like there are 2 different styles of cross bars. I've looked all over the place and can't find square u bolts that wide that arent supwr long. Does anyone have any recommendations for the wider cross bars?

Yeah that's the backup solution... Kinda sketch, it would be nice if there was a short square ubolt available. Or another clean option people used?

Back