• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping out to Led's?

Yes, I ran across all that info last night. Mine is a 2000 so it should be the same as yours and I bought it new back in '00.

I don't know what kind are in mine.
I was hoping I could get a clear look at the
sockets in the video in my thread but no such luck.
Maybe the problem with the CK sockets is
only a non polarity bulb thing.
The only problems I had were the 194's for the
side markers and a couple fitment issues.
Otherwise my install went pretty smooth.

I just installed all the factory front bulbs and now I have a back-feed in the left rear. I'm am also wondering about my trailer light adapter and any effects it would have. It was acting weird before I started this. I also have my original order of a EP27 coming today although I just bought a EP27 yesterday.

BTW, it has standard configuration sockets but I'm also questioning whether I "need" polarized lamps to prevent any back-feeding.

Now that is one thing I read when researching installing LED's.
It seemed that guys with a trailer hitch harness had problems.
I don't have one which I specified towards the end of the thread in the summary.
But I picked up a Mopar hitch and harness from the boneyard a couple months ago.
In pretty good shape for $40.
I was wondering if it would cause me problems and figure I will find out when I try to mount the hitch.
But I might not use it. I don't trailer and if it won't play nice with my factory gas skid and factory rear tow hooks then I won't use it. Rather have them then the hitch.
Which by the way while Mopar only offered one for the driver's side I had a second one and modded to use on the passenger side.

Also the Zevo's I used have polarity.

I did all LED interior lights on my 93.

194 for the guages, shifters, under dash
For the climate controls I don't remember the size but was a tiny led bulb.

For the dome lights I used 44feston style bulbs

Really updated the feel of the interior.

They don't dim which I really don't mind. But if I drove alot at night I probably would do the guages in a blue/ green or red so it won't be so harsh on the eyes..

I also did the reverse lights. Those were 1156 size extremely bright. I also changed the licence plate light with a 194.

The side markers are 194 but don't work since you'll need to get a flasher that works with led.

The under the hood light I used one the dome led bulbs.

Today I'm going to remove the trailer converter and start from there and check all the grounding connections.

Removing the tail light converter seems to have cured the rear back-feed so this evening I will try re-installing the front leds.

I tried the fronts again and still bad luck, I'm giving up on them at least for now. I want to focus on the dash and instrument cluster.

Once you complete this project you should test the cruise control. Since the newer models use the computer to drive the cruise control you will probably be fine but on a Renix era system, the cruise module needs to see a ground signal when the brake light is off in order to properly set the reference speed. When you install LED's you isolate the ground so it causes a Renix era system to display some very weird behavior like pegging the engine to wide open throttle when you press the set button at 30mph. I don't know that the later models do this but I don't know if they don't so it is something worth checking on a quiet road once you are done.

FWIW, you can adapt the Renix systems to work by installing a relay that toggles between 12V and Ground even with LED's installed.

Just reporting back and with one question. I replaced the gauges in my 99 with the 74's

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018LUL2WK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are dimmable, but it's maybe only a 5-7% reduction in brightness...I may look for replacements that are dimmer because they are REALLY bright even fully dimmed.

I was able to use 194s for the shifter and 4x4 lever

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VCRX1PW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now, when I went to do the bulbs in the HVAC panel they were super small so I'll have to look around for those. I think they are "T4/T4.2" from the initial research I did (if anyone can confirm that would be great). I have attached some pics of them. The base seems to be right at 7mm in diameter.

Now I'm confused ? I haven't done my cluster yet but I was assuming the illumination lamps were 194's and only the indicators with 74's?

Now I'm confused ? I haven't done my cluster yet but I was assuming the illumination lamps were 194's and only the indicators with 74's?

The brown bases in the gauge cluster were definitely the small 74s, there's no way those 194's could have been used...the old small bulbs had to be pulled from the brown bases. The only application I found for the 194s were the shifter bulbs. I'm trying to verify online the TINY ones that are in the HVAC panel, but not 100% sure yet.

I just ordered some more 74's just in case cause I don't want to tear my dash down without being ready. I made sure they are dimmable so hopefully I'm good to go. I'm actually getting mine ready to tackle.

I just ordered some more 74's just in case cause I don't want to tear my dash down without being ready. I made sure they are dimmable so hopefully I'm good to go. I'm actually getting mine ready to tackle.

do you have a link? the ones I ordered didn't say directly they were dimmable, but someone mentioned it in the comments.

I went ahead and ordered the following:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077JYNBS9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm positive the ones in the HVAC panel are "neo wedge" T3 bases. I couldn't find any that were dimmable though. I also thought about going with all red ones and doing it all over again since red is much easier on the eyes during the night. Not sure how it would work out though with the areas that have orange print.

After driving it again in total darkness this morning, I'm thinking of desoldering either 1 or 2 of the leds from the front of the unit (the small 74's). They have 3 smd leds on each and they are just way too bright. I'll take 2 of the units to experiment with and see how it goes. I'll have to rig something up to test outside of the car. I really didn't want to switch everything to red so hopefully this works.

Back