• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Improving ride on a DPG OME lift

My 97 with DPG kit has the OME med springs front and rear with their sport shocks. Goodyear wrangler adventure 31s at 28 lbs. It rides firm but not harsh at all with no added weight on the vehicle. Shackles are stock.

Is thrre binding somewhere? Has everything been loosened and re torqued weighted at ride height? Are bushings tge require lube lubed?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Any of the SRBs will allow you to use a non-boomerang shackle, and you should be able to adjust the angle to the range that people like to recommend. But that shackle box will raise the rear about 1" all by itself. A longer shackle, even at a 45 degree angle will add some lift too. So with a "lifted SRB" + aftermarket shackles, total lift will be at least 4.5", and will probably be closer to 5-5.5" inches.

Looking hard at the Iron Rock 3.5" springs.

"“IMPORTANT PRODUCT NOTE: These springs are longer than the OEM springs. Because of their length, they will require the use of either a lift shackle, boomerang style shackle, or shackle drop/relocation kit.”

I've asked IRO which they prefer so waiting on them.
From your comments I would guess no-lift SRB would be the ticket. With OEM shackles? Or is there an aftermarket OEM length shackle that's an upgrade?
They also offer 'add-a-leaf' to the spring set for additional load capacity and "adds lift", so I also asked how much of each.

Stock shackles are too short for a long travel lifted leaf spring. If you are looking for minimal lift (0.75" if the shackle was vertical), then Rusty's are nice. Very beefy and fit well. I tried to use the IRO 0.75" lift shackle, but it didn't fit well, and it was not nearly as beefy as Rusty's. If you want more lift from the shackle, then many can be considered.

Also, keep in mind that if the shackle is angled at 45 degrees, then the amount of lift provided by the shackle will be 70% of what the advertised lift will be.

Stock shackles are too short for a long travel lifted leaf spring. If you are looking for minimal lift (0.75" if the shackle was vertical), then Rusty's are nice. Very beefy and fit well. I tried to use the IRO 0.75" lift shackle, but it didn't fit well, and it was not nearly as beefy as Rusty's. If you want more lift from the shackle, then many can be considered.

Thanks for the reminder. As you well know, I'm all over the place on this. I'd looked at Rusty's earlier and forgot about'em. A great option to dial in the lift height. I'm not looking for a lift number, but a look and feel.

https://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-...s-shackles-xj-75-extended-greasable-pair.html

Planning on a mild group trail run Sunday so can feel it out with only the lift shackles in place compared to before. Might have an opportunity to hit some tougher stuff offroad. I'll take it from there but if I feel good about the ride and don't see an issue with the OME springs I'll try to leave it as is.

Any concerns with gas tank skid and JCR bumper if/when the SRB go in? As in, getting SRB mounted under the skid mount which is preferred so as to not add even more lift. Not sure if it will change my bumper position. Figure it out when I get there.

Thanks for the reminder. As you well know, I'm all over the place on this. I'd looked at Rusty's earlier and forgot about'em. A great option to dial in the lift height. I'm not looking for a lift number, but a look and feel.

https://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-...s-shackles-xj-75-extended-greasable-pair.html

Planning on a mild group trail run Sunday so can feel it out with only the lift shackles in place compared to before. Might have an opportunity to hit some tougher stuff offroad. I'll take it from there but if I feel good about the ride and don't see an issue with the OME springs I'll try to leave it as is.

Any concerns with gas tank skid and JCR bumper if/when the SRB go in? As in, getting SRB mounted under the skid mount which is preferred so as to not add even more lift. Not sure if it will change my bumper position. Figure it out when I get there.

So when I did my SRB's (HD Engineering bolt on) I had a gas tank skid and jcr rear bumper and I got lazy and installed them below the skid.

That was a mistake. Yes you can do it. But now if you ever need to drop the tank, you're dropping your rear suspension to do it too. I didn't realize that till about 2 months ago when I needed to drop the tank to drill through the cargo area floor to install my new spare tire mount. Now imagine discovering that issue instead when you need to change a fuel pump right now to get home from a trip (and don't have frame height jack stands, plus two for the axle, all your tools, etc).

That project took way longer than it should have as a result, but now I've got it corrected, SRB's, then skid, then bumper.

Bumper frame tie ins can really go anywher in the order, the JCR tie in plates are designed with a bump up so they can fit a variety of ways without impacting bumper position.

So when I did my SRB's (HD Engineering bolt on) I had a gas tank skid and jcr rear bumper and I got lazy and installed them below the skid.

That was a mistake. Yes you can do it. But now if you ever need to drop the tank, you're dropping your rear suspension to do it too. I didn't realize that till about 2 months ago when I needed to drop the tank to drill through the cargo area floor to install my new spare tire mount. Now imagine discovering that issue instead when you need to change a fuel pump right now to get home from a trip (and don't have frame height jack stands, plus two for the axle, all your tools, etc).

That project took way longer than it should have as a result, but now I've got it corrected, SRB's, then skid, then bumper.

Bumper frame tie ins can really go anywhere in the order, the JCR tie in plates are designed with a bump up so they can fit a variety of ways without impacting bumper position.

Oh ya, there's that. Glad I asked. What a PITA that would be.

I looked at the JCR plates and saw the bump. Just flip it over for added plate on the bottom?
I've considered cutting a fuel pump access hole/door in the rear floorpan. I'll bet someone here has invented that wheel already. I can see me punching holes from the top to hunt and peck for FP center.

Oh ya, there's that. Glad I asked. What a PITA that would be.

I looked at the JCR plates and saw the bump. Just flip it over for added plate on the bottom?
I've considered cutting a fuel pump access hole/door in the rear floorpan. I'll bet someone here has invented that wheel already. I can see me punching holes from the top to hunt and peck for FP center.

I make a lot of mistakes so y’all can learn from them.

Yup just flip the plate over. You can use that bump like you would a spacer to get it to match up in any direction

100% you tire pressure is to high. You should be shooting for 30psi tops. Your tires are part of your suspension. Running them at pressures over 35 makes them like rocks in light vehicles like ours. Drop your pressure and drive it. Youll be surprised i assure you. It will have way more effect on ride quality than any shackle angle or shock. Not to mention it free.

Last edited:
My 97 with DPG kit has the OME med springs front and rear with their sport shocks. Goodyear wrangler adventure 31s at 28 lbs. It rides firm but not harsh at all with no added weight on the vehicle. Shackles are stock.

Is thrre binding somewhere? Has everything been loosened and re torqued weighted at ride height? Are bushings tge require lube lubed?

What is current status? I dont think throwing more parts at it is necessary. What you boyght is solid-quality stuff. My 97 rides and handles great on/off road, and I dont consider a jeep that rides like farm equipent acceptable.

Back