• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 xj brakes go out when it rains?

jacksonbase

NAXJA Forum User
Just picked up a 1999 4x4 xj. The problem (it only seems to happen when its wet outside?) is under heavy braking the brakes just let go. Almost like a the ABS is pulsing but not stopping? It only does this occasionally but its pretty unnerving. Pads and rotors are good. No lights on. It only does this under heavy braking not during normal operation. Any thoughts on where to start to fix this? It does have the big ABS module thing under the hood.
thx
jacksonbase

... under heavy braking the brakes just let go.

What does this mean ?

Happens on hills, or on flat roads ? Fully describe what happens, when it happens, what speeds it happens and does not happen, what you feel and hear, and any smells.

Is the ABS engaging, or not ?

Sorry description is kind of vague.
Example Driving down a flat road at 40 mph and need to make a right turn. If I wait right before the turn and have to slam on the brakes ,truck coast past road with my foot buried in the brake petal. It almost feels like its skidding on ice but its not. The other problem this only happens occasionally. (usually when its wet outside but that may not be a factor) All brakes check out, no ABS light on , no scan machine codes... Its got to be something with abs? Can ABS be disabled on a 99 xj?

More description please. Does it begin to brake, then "let go", or never even begins to brake.

Does your foot hit the floor? Like, does the peddle go to the floor under this circumstance?

Yes. That is a good description. They work fine when i'm light on the pedal then It feels like they lets go 2/3-3/4 through pedal travel when i am on them hard. If you get off brakes and back on lightly they work fine. If you hit them hard again brakes let go. Im not sure if it goes all the way to the floor probably does.

Wet brakes, as you would have after crossing a stream or deep puddle typically feel as if the brakes have almost completely faded out. Pressing very hard on the pedal produces little result until the brakes heat up and dry out. Cheap crappy brake pads do tend to absorb moisture.

Use the Google and read a few articles about master cylinder failure symptoms, power brake booster failure symptoms, and water contaminated brake fluid symptoms.

Since you do not know the maintenance history of the Cherokee, or the quality of the brake parts installed, I strongly suggest you consider a full brake job with top quality brake parts. I would 100% bleed out all the old brake fluid also.

"It feels like it is skidding on ice" is the clue. I am sure the ABS is letting go of the breaks, one wheel or multiple wheels. Maybe your tires are worn or just plain sucks on wet road. Best thing to do is to slow down when the road is wet.

Brakes are not wet. I know PO and he has replaced all parts with OEM so components are good to go. Again this doesn't occur all the time just every couple of weeks.
Will any damage occur if I just pull abs fuses under the hood and see if problem goes away?

not that i can think of.
a friend had a ford explorer that had a bad wheel speed sensor that would not detect speed until after 7 mph. so every time you go to stop once 7 mph hit the abs would engage.

It not wet brakes, yet you mention it seems to happen when raining out. Did your Google research about master cylinder failure symptoms, power brake booster failure symptoms, and water contaminated brake fluid symptoms provide any clues ? Are the brakes in fact top quality parts or genuine Jeep parts, or are they Chinese made crap with a "Lifetime Warranty" ?

While highly unlikely to be an ABS issue, you can remove the ABS fuses and relays and there will be no effect upon the ABS system, it simply will not function.

Back