• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ update

Stealth

NAXJA Forum User
Well guys i spent most of the morning cutting off all the body off the XJ... i have it down to pretty much the frame and the roll cage.... i know most of you said it looked like a POS and too not waste my time but in my opinion its gonna come out looking pretty good once im done with it... either way here are some updated pics

i have to say im very disappointed on how thin the frame is... maybe im used to the almost 1/4" thick my CJ Frame has but this one looks super week...

tomorrow im gonna trim off the excess floorboard that are still attached to the frame and cut out some of the tubing i dont need and give it a coat of black paint....

it still has a lot of work but it will slowly get their....

IMAG0133.jpg

IMAG0134.jpg

IMAG0135.jpg

IMAG0136.jpg

just in case you guys didnt see what it looked like before this was it:
IMAGE_115.jpg

let me know what you guys think

-Raul

it looks weak becuase it is. the XJ has no "frame" its a unibody, it gets it strength from the body you cut off :D the "frame rails" are just thin steel channel to give the body some rigidity, and most people usually plate those rails to help toughen em up. your CJ has an actual frame under it thats why it looks stronger.

GrimmJeeper said:
it looks weak becuase it is. the XJ has no "frame" its a unibody, it gets it strength from the body you cut off :D the "frame rails" are just thin steel channel to give the body some rigidity, and most people usually plate those rails to help toughen em up. your CJ has an actual frame under it thats why it looks stronger.

thats exactly what i had thought to do... gonna clean it up some more and start streangthening it up....

anyway you could save those rear fiberglass fenders??? I'd definently be interested in them...

89cherokeexj said:
anyway you could save those rear fiberglass fenders??? I'd definently be interested in them...

i did save them.. but someone had already wanted them from this forum if he doesnt take them ill Pm you....

Yes deifinently let me know I will take them!!!

Jump This said:
Do you already have a drive train and electrical?
What are you plans with it anyway?

Nope... im still looking for the right setup...

i have the engine... its a 5.0L that were gonna put a stroker kit on...

i have 2 sets of transfercases that can go on... either a dana 300 or a TC from a 2004 Ford Superduty... its a NP but i forget which one... very big and beefy though

as for axles.... this is the tricky part...

im looking for a front dana 60 from a 2005+ superduty because i want to converty my truck into front coilover with 4 link (i have leafsprings) then take my axle (dana 60) off my truck and install that on the XJ.

prob go with another dana 60 rear end...

still not sure on what auto trans to go with...

it will be a 4 link system with coilovers and 3 link up front

also im just gonna sheet metal part of the sides like a comp. buggy....

thats the plan... but its gonna take a while because if i do the converstion on my truck.. that will kill at least 4k out of the XJ fund...

-Raul

GrimmJeeper said:
no diesel swap huh? a 7.3l torque monster sure would be nice in there :D

lol i had thought about it... but it would make the front end very heavy.... i have a Mercedes turbo 350 diesel i was gonna put in the CJ that i could put in it but i already have the 5.0L that my buddy is building so i figured i would stick with that....

ZJeepX said:
So your still gonna call it an xj when its done? haha The only xj thing left is the pathetic xj frame rails.

im thinking of modifying the front end to look like an XJ.. since mine didnt come with any i was gonna try and find the headlights and grill so i can mod them....

Stealth said:
im thinking of modifying the front end to look like an XJ.. since mine didnt come with any i was gonna try and find the headlights and grill so i can mod them....

I'm on round 2 or 3 on several body parts. I've replaced the whole front clip, all the lights twice, the fenders, the grill once or twice, the doors a time or two. Not much original anymore, so I'm pretty knowledgable on where to get them and how much. My stuff is either from a junk yard, people who've gone buggy, chinese replacements, or eBay.

http://www.quadratec.com/advisor/jeep_oem_replacement_parts/body/xj_body.php

NRT_Chris said:
Is this George "gitti" Gowland's old Jeepspeed?
Yes it is......was.

Back