• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for your opinion on lifts

CherBear

NAXJA Forum User
So i really want to get a lift for my XJ, the only problem is that im too cheap to buy new tires. Right now i have the 235 75 15 BFG ATs. How big of a lift do you think i can mannage with out making the tire looking too small.
I was thinking either 1.5 or 1.75 inches.
Also consider lifts that are easy to upgrade to a larger size.

why bother?

why bother?
If you are like me, you want your XJ to look like a 4wd instead of a stationwagon. I used ZJ V-8 coils up front with a 1" spacer and a main leaf from an old XJ pack and a 1.5" shackle on the rear. I used RockLizard's write-up as a guideline. I wound up with about 3" of lift that caused me to go to 31" tires that caused me to go to 4:11 gears. Now you understand the "why bother?"...

Here's a link.....HTH..Al http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

Last edited:
If you are like me, you want your XJ to look like a 4wd instead of a stationwagon. I used ZJ V-8 coils up front with a 1" spacer and a main leaf from an old XJ pack and a 1.5" shackle on the rear. I used RockLizard's write-up as a guideline. I wound up with about 3" of lift that caused me to go to 31" tires that caused me to go to 4:11 gears. Now you understand the "why bother?"...

Here's a link.....HTH..Al http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

Hey Big Al, Hickory here!
Looking to lift my 90 about 2-2.5"...
Know anyone in our area that's good with Jeeps?

budget boost = not worth the time, 3+ or its a waste of time.

and your tires will soon start to embarass you, and you should want to change em.

Well that's all I mean, is lifting it without doing bigger tires seems quite pointless to me, and after all... It IS indeed a disease. You'll do a budgetboost, and then next thing ya know you're at 6" and 37s.... ask me how I know :fuse::looney:

I am planning on building this jeep into something much larger. But on a highschooler's budget, that takes time. So i want my jeep to look slightly cool in the process. Plus these BFGs are pretty new, only about 5k on them, so i would like to get some use out of them/sell.

Hey Big Al, Hickory here!
Looking to lift my 90 about 2-2.5"...
Know anyone in our area that's good with Jeeps?

Haven't ran into a problem yet that with the help of this fourm that I couldn't figure out on my own. I'll PM Ya.

All depends on the end purpose of your Rig. I don't wheel but don't want to have folks wonder if my XJ is 4WD or not. I just wanted a beefier look and still have good enough ride quality for 8.5 hour trips to the Outerbanks of NC..... Whoo Hoo..."Let's Fish"....Al

If you don't wheel it and just want a couple inches of height, do a spacer puck/lift block/shackle budget boost. There are numerous companies that sell them for cheap, couple hundred bucks maybe.

I tend to agree with the "why bother?" sentiment, but they do look better slightly taller.

Buy the tires wheel it stock. remove your rear sway bar and make your existing front sway bar links removable for offroad use and have fun until you can afford at least a 3" lift.save your budget boost dollars towards a 3" lift.

Get a Rubicon express BB for around 270 with shocks. I have one myself. Gotta get the front lifted before WF though I got mine through www.jeepinoutfitters.com with free shipping! :D

and your tires will soon start to embarass you, and you should want to change em.

Not true about a budget boost the whole thing about them is BUDGET. They also make an XJ look much better compared to stock. Of course he will get inchitis and make it bigger. I am on a BB(half of one anyways) right now and My Goal is 3.5 with 31's and 4.10s thats plenty for me. It will be quite capable at that height but still very streetable!

also learning how to drive it while close to stock will help out when they get bigger!

I say just get a budget boost. Some plastic puck spacers go in the front and blocks and/or shackle and/or and add a leaf goes in the rear. If you don't really wheel much you can keep your stock shocks and brake lines.

If I was you I would give ebay a once over and order two 2" coil spring spacers and two add-a-leaves if your stock leaf packs are worn out or two 1.5" shackles if your leaf packs are still in good shape. In fact quadratech has a BB from teraflex for about $125 that would work really good for you. You could piece one together for about $20 if you know what you are doing though.

As long as you keep your flares on and in the stock location it will look fine. If you cut your fenders it will look silly with 235/75/R15's though. You'll get tired of looking at those BFG AT's before they wear out.

Get a cheap BB, and disco. your sway bars. Spend some cash on an Aussie locker, slip it in one weekend and blow your friends minds lol.

:wave:Here's a pic of my ride being used for MY intended purpose. If I were rockcrawling I would have built it differently. Hey, who knows what the future holds? That's why I like XJ's, they can be made to order. Al

DSC00212.jpg

Back