• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 to 242 swap parts

Nihil

NAXJA Forum User
Im about to swap in an NP242 into a 97 Cherokee where a 231 currently resides. The 242 is from the same year and both have auto trannies. The case swap will be bolt on, however I want to swap in some other stuff too so it works like it was originally meant to be in there. I need to confirm some part numbers from other posts.

I need the plastic shifter indicator bezel that reads 2,4p,4f,n,4l. Part number is: 5EL86LAZAB.

Im not sure if I need a new shifter rod, or just an adapter. The new rod number is: 53004943. Where can I find an adapter?

Also needed is the metal shifter gate that sits below the bezel and directs the rod through the gears. I do not know the part number for this, anybody have it?

The last thing that must be done is the wiring. Im not sure how the wiring is set up. Do the wires run directly from the t-case to the dash? I know the 231 uses 2 wires, but the 242 uses 4. Where can I find these wires? My dash includes an unused Full Time light so I will not need to install that, but just connect a wire to it. I am electronically declined so any help with this would be great.

Nihil said:
Im about to swap in an NP242 into a 97 Cherokee where a 231 currently resides. The 242 is from the same year and both have auto trannies. The case swap will be bolt on, however I want to swap in some other stuff too so it works like it was originally meant to be in there. I need to confirm some part numbers from other posts.

I need the plastic shifter indicator bezel that reads 2,4p,4f,n,4l. Part number is: 5EL86LAZAB.

Im not sure if I need a new shifter rod, or just an adapter. The new rod number is: 53004943. Where can I find an adapter?

Also needed is the metal shifter gate that sits below the bezel and directs the rod through the gears. I do not know the part number for this, anybody have it?

The last thing that must be done is the wiring. Im not sure how the wiring is set up. Do the wires run directly from the t-case to the dash? I know the 231 uses 2 wires, but the 242 uses 4. Where can I find these wires? My dash includes an unused Full Time light so I will not need to install that, but just connect a wire to it. I am electronically declined so any help with this would be great.

I'm not sure how to do the mod, but you made a good decision. The np-242 is an awesome t-case with its 2 4 wheel hi modes. I bought a 98' grand cherokee 6 banger so I could get that case. My previous jeep was a 95' grand with an 8 cylinder & full time 4 wheel drive. I have a 231 in my 91' xj, but this is my extreme off-roader and it is set-up with the SYE all many mods. The 242 does however, have limited parts, but many 231 parts can work with it as well.

I just did the same swap on an 89 and the only thing changed was the shifter bezel.

bolts right in, same driveshafts, shift lever pops right in. breather hose needed tugging to fit. the shift gate is the same.

Remeber to fix your front disconnect (if so equipped).

took about 7 hours (6.5 was removing old tcase)
get a ratchet wrench and a 9/16 stubby (I just cut an old box end wrench in half :) )

If you want step by step instructions, PM me I'm working on a write up now

Back