• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

For Those of Us Subject to CA Smog Testing

Saudade

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Ever wonder where they get those specs they use when measuring tailpipe emissions?

They are the "Acceleration Simulation Mode (ASM) TEST Emission Standards and Gross Polluter Standards". The link is at: https://www.bar.ca.gov/pubwebquery/cutpoints/showmake.aspx

Crank in your make (Jeep of course), Year, Body Type (Submit), then pick your model. For me would be Cherokee 4.0L Auto. Then enter the gross vehicle weight. My placard on the door jab is unreadable so I entered the curb weight from Wikipedia @3357#. It exactly matched the table in my last smog test.

My sister was lucky and finally got the hell out of there after 31yrs! I gave up even going there (unless something important) 40yrs ago! The price you pay for everything in life is ridiculous!

BTW, you should see the complaints and the names they have for CA on my gun forum!

I should clarify. I meant where the testing stations get the specs not where CA get them.

I just find it absurd that my stroker motor emissions easily could pass your tailpipe requirements and nothing would detectable by a visual inspection other than I have spark plug wires!

I should add that even my custom tuned PCM isn't detectable by any testing system!

I just find it absurd that my stroker motor emissions easily could pass your tailpipe requirements and nothing would detectable by a visual inspection other than I have spark plug wires!

Not absurd at all as long as the right collections of parts are used to ensure it's clean running.
My 2001 4.6 stroker has passed California's smog test twice, the tech never guessed it was anything but stock. And it was done with the Factory tune and the ECM has not been reprogrammed

When ordering the engine parts, I made sure Russ P. knew it was for a street-legal XJ and it needed to pass the emissions test. I depended on his expertise, he knows his stuff.

As long as the cam isn't extreme, the injectors are the right size and the catalytic converters are functional, it shouldn't be an issue.
It's all about the power of computers, O2 sensors and catalytic converters.
Interestingly, California does not require a tailpipe test on 2000 and newer vehicles if the "Check Engine Light" is off and ECM's internal tests have passed.

Last edited:
That's even more absurd. What's CA thinking -as long as it look's compliant you can do what VW did and play with the internal parameters so it looks good on the PCM!

Even loonier is I failed one time because I didn't have the hose that connects the shroud on the exh manifold to the front of the air cleaner (referred to as the Thermostatic Air Cleaner). So I logged a "T" for tampered as part of the visual/functional test. I had to find the right size hose, install and go back.

So RCP Phx, you're right. As long as it looks stock, acts like stock. 2000 don't need the sniffer but they still do check the numbers stamped on the catalytic converters to ensure they're the right ones. I bought a used car that had recently passed smog (I knew the previous owner). When I had it smogged to transfer the title it failed because it had the wrong CAT. No CEL, all system monitors OK. So another "T". I had to put the right CAT on to pass. We guessed the previous smog station was not as "diligent" in their inspection.

Even loonier is I failed one time because I didn't have the hose that connects the shroud on the exh manifold to the front of the air cleaner (referred to as the Thermostatic Air Cleaner). So I logged a "T" for tampered as part of the visual/functional test. I had to find the right size hose, install and go back.

So RCP Phx, you're right. As long as it looks stock, acts like stock. 2000 don't need the sniffer but they still do check the numbers stamped on the catalytic converters to ensure they're the right ones. I bought a used car that had recently passed smog (I knew the previous owner). When I had it smogged to transfer the title it failed because it had the wrong CAT. No CEL, all system monitors OK. So another "T". I had to put the right CAT on to pass. We guessed the previous smog station was not as "diligent" in their inspection.

That less than diligent smog station is the one to patronize.:shhh:

I just refer to it as the land of fruits and nuts. I wish they'd stop moving up my way. 26% of people moving to Idaho come from California.

And we'll happily send them to you. Too many people have moved here from other states, driving real estate prices through the roof and forcing many young people to move out of state.
You live in a state with cheaper property, it's a natural choice. Progress marches on.
All the western states have had huge population increases over the last few decades, Welcome to the club.

I just refer to it as the land of fruits and nuts. I wish they'd stop moving up my way. 26% of people moving to Idaho come from California.

Yes, please tell all your friends we're a bunch of crazy fruitcakes...too many people here as it is.

And not surprised by that 26% figure since California is *by far* the most populous state in the country at near 40 million.

Yes, California emissions standards are a pain in the ass. But I grew up in L.A. and remember very well when the sky was brown and it hurt to inhale deeply. Seriously. It was bad! I’m glad to have much better air quality now, even if enforcement is imperfect and if it costs some money to comply. If that makes me a nut, so be it.

Yes, California emissions standards are a pain in the ass. But I grew up in L.A. and remember very well when the sky was brown and it hurt to inhale deeply. Seriously. It was bad! I’m glad to have much better air quality now, even if enforcement is imperfect and if it costs some money to comply. If that makes me a nut, so be it.

Born and raised in San Diego, I remember those smog days of the 70's. It would hurt your chest and lungs to inhale deeply. You wouldn't believe it unless you experienced it. I imagine it was much worse in LA.

I live in LA also but but the emission standards of the older cars have little to do with the cleaner air , it is the newer cars that run much cleaner and OBD 2 cars run much cleaner than OBD 1 and that started in 1996 and the air been getting cleaner since then , the smog check system now is a money making thing for the state now and it is away to control what you drive .

The part that ridiculous is the extra money paid for the same part because it is CARB approved.

Born and raised in San Diego, I remember those smog days of the 70's. It would hurt your chest and lungs to inhale deeply. You wouldn't believe it unless you experienced it. I imagine it was much worse in LA.

I grew up in the LA in the 60's and during 'smog alerts', it was even worse, the 70's cars at least had rudimentary emission devices and ran leaner.
I keep my cars a long time and having to test them every other year is a hassle but is the cost of cleaner air, it is so much cleaner than it was when I was a kid.
I'll pay the price.
Now, if we could go back to the population level of the 60's, that would be wonderful, the freeways actually worked all day long.
I hear Idaho is a good place to move.

Did not grow up in those times, and i dislike California for some issues.. But they have these regulations in place for a reason. Unfortunately us gearheads fit the bill. But its for good reason. And these people that say they hate the state have clearly spent time in the wrong places. Call me a kook, but this state has a lot to offer.

Back