• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke down in the back country while hunting (HELP)

There's no float bowl like with a carb, nor an accumulator. Once you cut the power to the pump the fuel pressure drops immediately. Remember your physics, liquids are essentially non compressible.

Except, no.

This is exactly how I cleared the pressure to the lines when I replaced my fuel pump a few months back. Pulled the fuse. Cranked the vehicle. It cranked and ran fine for about 20 seconds, then began to sputter as pressure dropped significantly below where the injection system needed it to be. Eventually (within 30 seconds) it died.

Turned the key, and it started back up and sputter, then died. Did this a few more times and finally it just spun over.

This past Saturday I checked a few things. I connected a fuel pressure tester to the port on the fuel rail to see if the pump was working. I have around 46 PSI just by turning the key on, and 49 PSI while running. Yes, it actually cranked and ran, at least long enough to do that then it killed out again. I got it started, then it died again after a few minutes. I started looking at the alternator because it acted funny the two days I drove it. Voltage meter would show 14 volts while driving down the road and at idle. Pull the headlight switch, turn the blower fan on, or both, and it would pull down to 12 volts. So, I put another battery on that was fully charged and it started. Put a test meter on it and the alternator was putting out 14.05 volts at idle. Pull the light switch and it would drop to a little over 12. Turn on something else and it would drop below 12. Increase the throttle and it would increase to 14 volts. The alternator was also making a moaning sound. So, I bought a reman alternator from O'Reilly's and swapped it out. I also put my battery back in, fully charged, and everything worked as it should. They tested the one I took off and it failed. So I think everything is fine and I just assumed since it wasn't charging like it should, it wasn't keeping the full 12 volts in the system for it to run. I didn't drive it yesterday, but I headed out to work this morning and 25 miles later it died again while cruising around 60 mph. No lights, not warning, just died and won't crank. It will turn over just fine but won't crank. I've also noticed something else. It's burning an unusual amount of gas. Almost 1/2 tank in 75 to 80 miles. Could this all be caused by a bad crankshaft position sensor?

any exhaust leaks? I went from 10 and under to 15 mpg by replacing my cracked manifold and fixing a other leak

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Figured I'd update this with the fix. It was the coil.

When I rebuilt this engine (16k ago), I replaced every sensor/component with OEM parts except for the coil. I used a Napa Echlin (sp?) coil. All of my tests pointed toward it so I pulled it off and tested it. Failed both the primary and secondary tests.

New Mopar coil, started on the first crank.

Yay! So nice to know you've fixed this and that your XJ isn't likely to leave you stranded again.

Back