• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TC rear yoke output shaft seal leak

jk_surgeonfish

NAXJA Forum User
Again...why does it seem like a simple thing just does not end up that way.

The original SYE is from ProComp from around 2008. I called and got the part number for the rear output shaft seal that goes around the yoke. It is my understanding that the Procomps were make by Teraflex. The invoice from the shop that installed showed a part number of 4006. I only show 4007 in my research. Anyways I put in the following based on ProComps recommendation: Napa 18658 SKF.

Leaked like the titanic around the rubber seal that makes contact with the yoke. :smsoap:

So I called around and it was suggested I put in a National 473179. Put that in and it was better but still leaks around the rubber seal.

The National 473179 when you measure it against the original seal is the best fit.:smsoap:

Any recommendations on what seal I need to be using?

Thanks!

Do you have the old seal still? There's usually a part number you can. Cross reference, it's just very small and hard to read. It's usually on the lip area somewhere. There's also no grooving in the yoke? Made sure to pack the spring and seal surface with grease?

Do you have the old seal still? There's usually a part number you can. Cross reference, it's just very small and hard to read. It's usually on the lip area somewhere. There's also no grooving in the yoke? Made sure to pack the spring and seal surface with grease?

I still have it but did not see a number the first time but will definitely look more closely.

Yoke is smooth and no grooving. I'm supposed to put grease on the spring and seal surface? I've only read about lubing with ATF and then installing.

That's my preference. I've had the springs fall off during install even with grease. T helps keep them in place and lubes the seal. And atf is fine I just prefer grease as an added precaution.

I did some reading and found Omix-ada 18676.62 looks just like the one I pulled. More research shows that it is an AMC-20 pinion seal and based on that I see NAPA 18444 is the part number they carry.

I tried the 18658 previously from Napa but that failed. Looking at 18444 vs 18658 the ID (internal diameter) for NOS 18444 is 1.844 where the NOS 18658 (leaked like the Titanic) is 1.875.

I'm hoping the smaller ID will create a better seal and not leak. Other forums have posted that the AMC20 pinion seal works on the SYEs they had from Rugged Ridge and Advanced Adapters.

I'll know later today when the part arrives.

In my repair notes, I have:

Replace TRANSFER CASE REAR OUTPUT SEAL - tried NAPA 18658 ($15.50) then used NAPA/CR 18662 ($19.36)

Maybe this will help. My SYE is a AA NP242. The 18662 has been in for about 45,000 miles with no seepage whatsoever.

Just tried the 18444 and the friggin thing leaks. I am trying 18676.62 next. If that does not work I am going to use some C4 on it. Really pissing me off now. On my 4th seal and they all leak.

Have you considered there might be anther problem?

Maybe the covers not aligned? Are you sealing the spline threads? Maybe the rear output bearing is going bad? Are you sure where the leak is coming from?

Maybe the covers not aligned? Are you sealing the spline threads? Maybe the rear output bearing is going bad? Are you sure where the leak is coming from?

I can see it leaking from around the rubber/yoke surface. It is not leaking via the splines to nut or around the seal to sye aluminum surface. Only where the rubber to yoke is.

I don't feel any play in the bearing. I thought about this as well.

Thanks.

Not necessarily apples to apples, but the part number for the replacement seal for my JB Conversions SYE is [FONT=&quot]National 472572.

I inquired and made a note of it for future maintenance purposes.

If you have dimensions (OD of seal and OD of yoke) it might be worth calling JB Conversions and seeing if they will sell you one of their own seals (provided dimensions are correct). Their seals are a double lipped design (springs on both the inside and the outside) which they have special made for their kits. It is not that the sizing they are using is out of the ordinary (thus the National 472572 potential replacement), but rather a matter of them wanting a superior seal. It sounds like you might be in the need for such a thing.
[/FONT]

Back