• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ radiators, a review.

Anak, unfortunately your images are not appearing. However, it seems pretty clear that it wasn't a drop-in install. :)

Correct.

However, if I did not have AC and did not have a ZJ fan clutch it could have been. Or at least close to drop in. The matter of being 1/4" too short for the upper radiator support would still have been an issue.

Well, now I am seeing red:

ColdCaseLeak4OPT.jpg

Outside temps almost up to 80 degrees today, and I put the Jeep to a bit of work. Didn't turn out so well with the new radiator.

:banghead:

The cause is pretty simple: An unsupported O-ring seal:

ColdCaseLeak1OPT.jpg

You can see the coolant spraying out of it at 6:00 in the picture, 9:00 on the fitting if you were in the engine bay looking at it.

I had reservations about the fitting at the time I installed the radiator, but hoped it wouldn't matter. Well, false hope is still hope.

In order for an O-ring to do its job well it needs to be supported on all four sides (looking at a cross section of the seal). In this case the O-ring only has support on three sides. The unsupported side allows pressure to escape.

There would be two intelligent design solutions here: One would be to machine the fittings such that the seal is entirely within the female side of the fitting so that all four sides are supported. The other would be to use a solid material, like perhaps delrin or nylon. Something malleable enough to form a seal, but strong enough not to be able to blow out.

Of course this problem shows up on a Friday afternoon on a holiday weekend. I will have to wait until next week to see what sort of answer I get from Cold Case.

I spoke to Cold Case today.

They are sending me another radiator and a call tag for the old one. I have to pay $50 shipping up front. They are to refund the shipping when they receive the old one back.

I do not see this as the real solution however. The new one will have the same unsupported O-ring. So I also have purchased some delrin which I will use to machine a better O-ring.

According to Cold Case, this plug is for a temperature sensor. I am curious what years/options involve this temperature sensor. My '96 does not have it. Is this for a Renix sensor? Or a late model? If anyone has any insight as to the application for this port I would appreciate it. I would like to see how the sensor is supposed to seal.

That temp sensor is used for all of the renix years. Its a temp switch to turn the aux fan on and off.

Thank you.

I will see if Napa has one I can lay my hands on.

Looking at pictures on RockAuto I do see that the Renix switch seals on the flat surface of the port, but rather than an O-ring it uses a metal compression type seal, much like old school spark plugs (before they came out with the tapered seats).

Does anyone know the name for that old school type seal? That would be the ticket if I could find it in the right size. I expect there is a technical term for that kind of crush seal.

I have managed to find some hydraulic seals which have promise: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QBNR7B4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those are essentially like an O-ring with a metal band around the outside. The only challenge is the placement of the inner lip. If that falls inside the rim of the female fitting it probably won't seal properly. I have ordered the assortment and I will see if any of the sizes have the right dimensions to work.

I know them by AN washers. They are also available in soft copper just watch out for dis-similar metal electrolysis.

Thank you.

Somehow that brought up these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G83MFDK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3NIEYL6KEKEDV&psc=1

I had found plenty of the copper versions. Just fine for oil drains, but not what I want on an aluminum radiator.

The above link appears to be an aluminum version of the copper drain plug washers. Still not quite exactly what I am looking for, but getting much closer. I have ordered the kit of aluminum washers.

The O.E. style crush washer has a seam in the rim. I am sure there is some sort of engineering spec that identifies that design. How much difference there is betwee that and the "AN" style I do not know, but from the images I am seeing I think the AN style may be more solid/less crushable (I hope that makes some kind of sense).

for less than 20$ on rockauto you could buy one of those sensors and run it not connected to anything.

I could also buy the sensor, remove the crush washer, toss the sensor and install the aluminum cap with the correct crush washer under it.

That would be preferred as the aluminum cap takes up less space, leaving better access to the lower radiator hose.

But I am fairly certain that the makers of these sensors are sourcing these crush washers somewhere. There is probably a standard design spec, probably one which pre-dates AMC and this application. If I can find that it will simplify life for more than just myself.

Good tip.

https://www.mcmaster.com/thread-sealing-washers/

Some interesting designs there. I think the aluminum ones I already have on order from Amazon are as good of an option as any of those at McMaster-Carr. However, if I end up needing a different size I may end up back at McMaster-Carr.

They uses a black fiber washer similar to a regular flat metal washer less than 1/8 inch thick.
Use something that is non porous and will conform easily,...some silicone will also work. A thin O ring will also work.

I used right stuff silicone for that plug. Won't get a better seal than that. When you use it on an oil pan or valve cover you have to have a chisel to get it back off.

My plan right now, assuming I get one that fits, is to use an aluminum compression washer with Right Stuff silicon.

Provided the shippers do their job according to the tracking numbers I will get to work on this Saturday.

Wow, lots to go through! So it seems that many of the all metal radiators crack. OEM Mopar is discontinued. What is as good or better than my OE 99 radiator?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Weather is finally warming up a bit in the PNW, so I'm thinking about preparing to swap in a new radiator in a few months. I'm down to either the Mishimoto or the Summit. With cal's clogging issue with the Mishimoto, I'm leaning towards the Summit, but wondering if owners of either radiator can chime in on recent experiences.
Did you ever decide on a radiator? I'm needing to swap mine soon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Back