• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need alternator,01 xj, meen green?

Belt Part #?

Where was the additional grinding required?

Thanks-

One more area that needs some relief ground off:

DSC00193.jpg

A belt 1inch longer than stock worked great!

Aaron

Sorry it took me awhile to get back on here. The extra material wasn't removed from the bracket. It was removed from the two bosses where the studs go through. It's the dark black area in the pic. That's pre-removal. They needed taken back just a bit to more mirror the profile of the grinding on the bracket.

Aaron

I did this mod this past weekend using a 136Amp 98 Grand Cherokee 5.2L Alternator in my 92 XJ 4.0L.

For those who wanted to know the amount to trim off the stock bracket here are some pictures for you.

Bolt holes dont quite line up.

This is why they dont line up. Its a snug fit.

Here is what I marked with the Alternator on the Jeep. Hint...Take the bracketry off for a much easier time.

Grind...test fit...grind....test fit...grind sum more...it FITS..

Pic from the bottom

Material removed from the other bracket on the front of the engine.

DONE and DONE

Ask questions while the install is still fresh in my head. My Brains a fading fast lately. But it was as straight forward as everyone said.

BTW I upgraded the POS wire to a 2Gauge battery cable. :yelclap: Now with everything on(dual electric fans, radio blazing and my 100/130 H4 headlight swap) the volt meter stays at 14v solid.

Sorry to NECRO this thread:confused:, but, how long did it take you to complete this Alternator Swap you did, what with all the grinding and cutting of the mounting brackets, and such pleasantries, you had to engage in? I'd like to know as I'm about to start the same install on my 1991 XJ Laredo this Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, and don't want to take more than two days to finish the "Task At Hand". Also, any advice on this endeavor, that wasn't touched on previously, would be a big help as well. Thank you in advance.:dunno:

If you have all the required parts on hand, I'd bet you could do it in a day with a Dremel or an hour or so if you're good with a ~4.5" angle grinder.

Sorry to NECRO this thread:confused:, but, how long did it take you to complete this Alternator Swap you did, what with all the grinding and cutting of the mounting brackets, and such pleasantries, you had to engage in? I'd like to know as I'm about to start the same install on my 1991 XJ Laredo this Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, and don't want to take more than two days to finish the "Task At Hand". Also, any advice on this endeavor, that wasn't touched on previously, would be a big help as well. Thank you in advance.:dunno:

i found the hardest part was not snapping the bolts when removing the bracket and alternator. on my 89, its a crap shoot when removing any nut or bolt on the entire jeep because of rust/corrosion.

the grinding was the easy part. use plenty of rust breaker on all the bolts

I went with the 160A alt from autozone when I moved mine up to where the A/C was and only had to grind down some of the bracket to get it to fit, the part number from autozone was 12329.

I am bringing this back to add a little info on what I am doing since this thread has the most info on upgrading alternators.

This is the one I got from NAPA http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=RAL138632_0209531262&An=599001+101998+50038+2038005+3038007+3999999+4294881155 Lifetime warranty, 136amp that was optional for a 98 ZJ with the 4.0L

I went with that one cause it already has the 6 groove pulley and the black boot for the charging wire is the same as the XJ. That way I only have to shave the mounting brackets and upgrade the main wires to make it work.

For the mains I am going with 4 gauge for both + and - including the ground at the back of the block and replacing the fused link from the alt with a 150amp mega fuse from NAPA http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=BK_7821138_0006409350
150ampmegafuse.jpg

And this holder for it http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=BK_7821143_0273937467
Megafuseholder.jpg

Seems as though this discussion continually surfaces....

As 5-90 said you WILL need to upgrade you battery cables and the charging cable from the alternator to the PCM in the engine compartment.

When I did the uprade I built my own cables from 2 ga fine stranded polarity colored pos and neg cables with fusion battery clamps and terminals. The ground pigtail and the alternator charging lead were 4 ga fine stranded with fusion terminals.
When I upgraded the charging cable I remove the small fusible link and installed a 150A marine grade mini buss fuse and fabricated another terminal for the PCM.
standard.jpg

Used a 136A alternator from a 98 ZJ 5.2L 4x4 which required that I grind the aluminum mounting bracket as shown previously and also the black stamped steel front mount to clear the larger alternator case.
You will need to remove the original charging cable terminal boot and install it on the new alternator since there is a pin that positions the boot properly. Good idea to swap the serpentine pulley since the XJ and ZJ pulleys are different diameters and extra grooves.

This modification has worked very well with upgraded headlights, off road lights, ham radios, and several other items...

Last edited:
Seems as though this discussion continually surfaces....

As 5-90 said you WILL need to upgrade you battery cables and the charging cable from the alternator to the PCM in the engine compartment.

When I did the uprade I built my own cables from 2 ga fine stranded polarity colored pos and neg cables with fusion battery clamps and terminals. The ground pigtail and the alternator charging lead were 4 ga fine stranded with fusion terminals.
When I upgraded the charging cable I remove the small fusible link and installed a 150A marine grade mini buss fuse and fabricated another terminal for the PCM.
standard.jpg

Used a 136A alternator from a 98 ZJ 5.2L 4x4 which required that I grind the aluminum mounting bracket as shown previously and also the black stamped steel front mount to clear the larger alternator case.
You will need to remove the original charging cable terminal boot and install it on the new alternator since there is a pin that positions the boot properly. Good idea to swap the serpentine pulley since the XJ and ZJ pulleys are different diameters and extra grooves.

This modification has worked very well with upgraded headlights, off road lights, ham radios, and several other items...

The 7g ZJ pully will work neatly with the 6g XJ belt - just leave the front groove on the 7g pully empty (belt should be at the rear flange, not the front.)

Are you sure the existing serpentine belt will accomodate the difference in the pulley diameters?

The stock belt fit fine, just had to adjust the tensioner pulley down further to slide the belt on and then tightened it up.

I have been running this setup now for about a week with no issues.

Back