• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator time?

azupcountry

NAXJA Forum User
First, thanks to all overheat posters..I've read most of them over the last few weeks.
1996 Classic 4x4, UpCountry, Tow Pckg, no modifications, bought in 97 with 30k... now 232k miles. Daily Driver - 30 miles one way@70mph. 30 miles the other way half of it bumper to bumper on I-4. Temps go to 225-230 but E fan pulls them back to 215ish. Air temp doesn't matter 73 or 93 (current temps) it acts the same. Overflow reservoir level stays the same. No detectable leaks.

I have:
Back flushed
Prestone 3 day flush (will probably do this one more time)
New 195 t-stat
New Hayden clutch
De-rocked/straightened AC/Tranny cooler fans.
Compression test 180/178/162/175/180/180
Block leak test. Fluid stayed blue.
Vacuum test. 18/Champion OE plugs are light but not white.
New hoses.
New belt
Heater works great
Currently have straight distilled water.

In the absence of any serious symptoms I'm thinking it might be time to replace the radiator. Any other diagnostics I should try before proceeding?

Funny, my 1996 XJ did exactly the same things that yours is doing. And when I say on this forum the E-fan do not come on until about 230 degrees no one believed me. I am talking about driving in South FL streets including stop and go traffic and drive through and like you, new everything including new radiator(which is still in use but tired 14 years later) did not help. The XJ was at about 135,000 miles. Now it have 325,000 miles on the dash. Electric fans have keep high temperatures at bay. Everyone say electric fans do not work and I am sure they correct.

I feel your pain on I4 through Orlando. Leaving the Millennium Mall going back to Jacksonville could take 90+ minutes to travel the 50 miles back to I95. And that is if there is no accident.

Thanks guys. Techno1154 I'm sorry you DO understand I-4! The 30 mile drive home to Sanford is almost always 1 hour. Cooling has improved somewhat with what I've done so far.
Early in the summer before I started working on it I used to freak out and run the heater..now at least the E fan can keep up.
I'll probably go ahead with the radiator and a pump just to check off all the boxes. I'll post back afterwards with results.

Back