View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2004, 21:35
NAXJA Member

Re: Pre-runner type suspension stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S
Richard, the problem that I found when I had the SAW's valved stiff, or at least when they were valved to work really well at pre-running speeds, was that they didn't react fast enough on the trail. They worked fine if I was going slow enough, but with a softer valving I can go much faster on the trail. Mind you I'm talking 1st gear, low range either way.
Paul
I was wondering about that.....how stiff would become too stiff for trail work. There is a test of various remote resevoir shocks in the current issue of Peterson's. It's interesting that the stiffest feeling shock on the street is the Bilstein 5150 with 255/70 valving, not what you'd think was stiff enough for prerunning, but they are charged to 360 psi. The article said they were very compliant on the trail and good for pre-running. The ProComp Pre-Runners are actually good SAW's and they were not quite as stiff as the 5150's on the street, very good at prerunning, but not compliant enough for the trail.

Makes me wonder about how much shock tuning can be done with pressure as well as valving. From the difference in performance of the 5150's and ProComps, it would appear that we could run a softer valving for good trail performance but a higher pressure for prerunning. I'll be testing this out with the SAW's, since our's are starting with fairly low pressure. I should have the rear shocks on to do some clerance testing in the morning.

mad maxj, check out that article, one of the four shocks in the comparison are the new remote resevoir 9000's.
Thanks to , Falken Tires, Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines, Ten Factory Axles, Brown Dog, Hooker Harness, BILSTEIN, Raceline Wheels, WARN, G&G Auto Repair/Off Road, Yukon Gear and Axle, Full Traction, Cal, Russ, James, and many, many others.