• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How can I hook up an efan timer on a 2001?

I've had this mod on my xj for 5-6 years now (has it been that long? DAMN!) and I can say it still does it's job but is annoying at times. Every now and then it would turn the fan on when I shut the passenger door and sometimes when I start up the jeep. Weird. I bet it's just a loose wire or something but it's doing it's job. No misfire to date.

Just an update. The ELK has been working for over five years without fail. I still use a button to activate since it is only needed on very hot days.
Auto operation would be nice but I don't want it running every time the engine is turned off, even in the summer, since the hot soak issues only come up when the Jeep has been driven a good distance and then shut off for a few minutes, then restarted. .
Thermostatic control would be my choice if re-designing this.

While insulating the injectors and fuel rail had next to no effect, adding hood vents and insulation the bottom of the intake manifold has reduced the incidence of hot soak problems. The insulated manifold keep the intake air temps down too, helping to produce a little more power, a double benefit.
The 1997 XJ doesn't suffer the hot soak problem the 2001 does (no mini cats). It is equipped with an insulated late-model intake manifold and aftermarket headers.

Looks like we have a another HOT summer to deal with, a good time to test the latest methods.

Just an update. The ELK has been working for over five years without fail. I still use a button to activate since it is only needed on very hot days.
Auto operation would be nice but I don't want it running every time the engine is turned off, even in the summer, since the hot soak issues only come up when the Jeep has been driven a good distance and then shut off for a few minutes, then restarted. .
Thermostatic control would be my choice if re-designing this.

While insulating the injectors and fuel rail had next to no effect, adding hood vents and insulation the bottom of the intake manifold has reduced the incidence of hot soak problems. The insulated manifold keep the intake air temps down too, helping to produce a little more power, a double benefit.
The 1997 XJ doesn't suffer the hot soak problem the 2001 does (no mini cats). It is equipped with an insulated late-model intake manifold and aftermarket headers.

Looks like we have a another HOT summer to deal with, a good time to test the latest methods.

Thanks for the update.

Bought an 01 back in October, and had the problem almost immediately upon getting it to TX. I did the TSB fix, which I thought worked, and then the heat soak popped up again this last week- on a 70 degree day after sitting in traffic on my way home from work.

Needless to say I'd like to get a fix going before summer rolls around.

Thinking the combination of this on a momentary switch, plus the vents and maybe replacing the injectors.

Any luck you guys can re-post the wiring diagrams? Photobucket has changed their way of hosting pics. I can't see them now. Greatly appreciated if you can.

I have a '99 with a switch to relay to activate the aux fan wired to the PDC as to not get a CEL. I want to add the ELK-960 into the wiring.

Thanks for the update.

Bought an 01 back in October, and had the problem almost immediately upon getting it to TX. I did the TSB fix, which I thought worked, and then the heat soak popped up again this last week- on a 70 degree day after sitting in traffic on my way home from work.

Needless to say I'd like to get a fix going before summer rolls around.

Thinking the combination of this on a momentary switch, plus the vents and maybe replacing the injectors.

Its been 5 years I've been putting this off... anyone have the wiring diagram anymore?

I've got the parts I'd like to solve it but electrical stuff like this is a foreign language to me.

Well, I finally did it. After years of reading, over-analyzing, feeling like every solution I found only got me half of what I wanted, and good instructions disappearing due to photobucket being a garbage company, I now have an e-fan that I can turn on when wanted with a switch, and will run a timer post shutdown.

I followed the directions in this thread. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/right-way-install-manual-switch-your-e-fan-212243/

I then attempted to use the time delay relay mentioned here as a way to not have to do a separate timer: https://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f64/xj-heat-soak-fix-simple-inexpensive-fan-off-time-delay-69801/

Unfortunately the diodes in the time delay relay prevented it from working backwards like the CF thread mentioned. So I swapped it for a normal 5 pin relay and boom, had a fan I could turn on with a switch when needed that would still operate normally without a CEL.

So the next step was a timer. I know the ELK timer is the one most folks use, and I had one, but the ELK seems to work best with a momentary switch. I wanted to use a carling rocker to match the other switches in my panel and be able to have one switch that ran both the timing operation and manual operation. I found this timer on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Automot...ds=12v+off+delay+timer&qid=1578338157&sr=8-11

Mode P-4 on this timer was exactly what I wanted:

P-4: If there is signal triggering, the relay connects and keeps connecting. When the signal disappears, timing starts. When the time is over, the relay disconnects.

So now I can turn the fan on with the switch, and its on. When I turn the switch off, a 4 minute timer starts and runs the fan off battery power.

The one thing I don't like about the timer is the digital display is always on when receiving 12v power. The manufacturer claims only a 20ma draw in standby with the display on, but I'd still rather it be off completely. Looking at another timer I've found that is almost identical but has the option for a low power mode with the display off.

There you have it. I was terrified of this mod for years due to the wiring, CEL issues, etc. It took me about 2 hours to do all-in. If I had had all the right parts at first it would have been one afternoon.

no pics / vid of the finished system?

Since I gave up photobucket and had them close my account I'm not sure where to host things anymore.

Since I gave up photobucket and had them close my account I'm not sure where to host things anymore.
Tapatalk is silly easy to post pics from your phone. They host it, or have it setup with a 3ed. IDK it just works

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I’ve had the manual switch mod for a year now — took apart and rewired the PDC so I could use an empty relay and fuse port — wired the new relay as described

I’m unclear how you incorporated a timer into this circuit — a wiring diagram would be helpful

I wired my switch hot at all times — I have to sit in a parking lot for 3 minutes to manually shut off the fan — would be nice to have the timer

I’ve had the manual switch mod for a year now — took apart and rewired the PDC so I could use an empty relay and fuse port — wired the new relay as described

I’m unclear how you incorporated a timer into this circuit — a wiring diagram would be helpful

I wired my switch hot at all times — I have to sit in a parking lot for 3 minutes to manually shut off the fan — would be nice to have the timer

The timer is wired in line on the wire from the switch that activates the relay- basically just clipped the wire and put the timer in the middle of it.

The timer has 12v power coming from the accessory fuse block I added, which is always hot, so it gets power whether the jeep is on or off.

I'll see what I can do on a wiring diagram. Again no hosting option that I'm aware of and I've never used taptalk either.

You are a paid, red letter member — you can host your photos right here on naxja

User CP — Albums — download your pictures to your album and then you can use them in your post

Timer with wiring. Yellow is the trigger wire from the switch, red is 12v power, black is ground. The red wrapping around the unit goes to the com terminal on the output side. Note the 4 on the display for the 4 minute setting.
picture.php

Timer tucked down next to my ARB Compressor
picture.php

Not sure why it rotated my switch photo but here it is:

picture.php

You are a paid, red letter member — you can host your photos right here on naxja

User CP — Albums — download your pictures to your album and then you can use them in your post

Thanks for the tip. I knew this had been discussed but never heard it had been implemented.

I mounted the timer inside the middle console, after unscrewing and lifting the inner storage box out. A button to turn on the three minutes is located next to the TC lever.
Under the hood, a fused 40-amp relay drives the fan motor.
It's been eleven years since it was installed and while has never failed, I don't have wiring schematic . I do remember needing to use a diode or two to isolate the timer from the stock fan wiring.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157617434915718/with/3482846101/

Wiring diagram from the post I followed, with the timer wiring added in:

picture.php

I mounted the timer inside the middle console, after unscrewing and lifting the inner storage box out. A button to turn on the three minutes is located next to the TC lever.
Under the hood, a fused 40-amp relay drives the fan motor.
It's been eleven years since it was installed and while has never failed, I don't have wiring schematic . I do remember needing to use a diode or two to isolate the timer from the stock fan wiring.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157617434915718/with/3482846101/

I know. I've read your posts on the subject multiple times over the years and I've got an ELK timer sitting in the garage. The ELK timer didn't do what I wanted. This one did.

I know. I've read your posts on the subject multiple times over the years and I've got an ELK timer sitting in the garage. The ELK timer didn't do what I wanted. This one did.

Glad you got a timer to work, it is the only sure cure for hot soak issue.
I had problems with the ELK back feeding the fan circuit and ended up isolating the ELK with a couple of diodes. The ELK itself has been trouble free.

The timer is wired in line on the wire from the switch that activates the relay- basically just clipped the wire and put the timer in the middle of it.

The timer has 12v power coming from the accessory fuse block I added, which is always hot, so it gets power whether the jeep is on or off.
Use a temperature switch in-line with the timer (or on the control side of the relay). Then it will only have power when the coolant is hot.

Back