• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 231 shift problem

WVjeepr

NAXJA Forum User
1990 Jeep Cherokee My shifter won't move to the right to allow it to go back into 4 low. Is this a problem with the linkage under it or the shifter assy. itself?

It would be in the shifter assembly itself.

so is there anything that can be fixed in the shifter assy to repair it or should I just replace it? Wish I had on to look at to see it function to figure it out

Typically the 4x4 shifter linkage is out of adjustment, out of alignment, or the bushings have failed.

Adjust the linkage, inspect for misalignment and failed bushings. Install fresh bushings, or upgrade to an aftermarket shift mechanism.

standard.jpg

large.jpg

what an overly complicated system for such a basic concept. I can try the shifter over to the right and pull it back into low will have to tear it apart and see what's up. Thanks for the info.

Stock linkage sucks big time. Couple folks make aftermarket replacements.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

what an overly complicated system for such a basic concept. I can try the shifter over to the right and pull it back into low will have to tear it apart and see what's up. Thanks for the info.

The part that allows the shifter to move left and right isn't in the linkage under the Jeep it's in the shifter assembly. If you look at the diagram the handle has a round piece that goes into the pivot point that allows the shifter to go front and back. I've seen more than one shifter where the left right pivot is simply corroded and frozen in place. I've been able to get the to loosen up by applying penetrating lubricant and some force.

On the upside if you can't get it to free up there's plenty of shifter assemblys out there :)

Is it too basic for me to ask... did you shift the transmission into neutral before trying to shift the tcase into low range?

Back