• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help broken down in Death Valley

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
1990 stock renix Little power. Can’t rev in neutral past 3000 rpm. Stuck at furnace creek now. Almost no power on highway. Can barely climb grades at 15 mph on highway. Temp goes up when going up hill and must pull over after every few miles. Temp cools in five minutes if I rev motor. But then goes up again to redlinein a few miles again. On level road can’t maintain 25 mph. Yesterday found the egr transducer melted this has the rubber elbow off an exhaust tube to influence egr operation. That elbow was melted. I have plugged the egr tubes so no vacuum leak now nor exhaust leak either. Yet still almost no power. Can’t rev above 3000 rpm even when in neutral. Suspect rich running by smell. Any advice? I am 500 miles from home. Cap and rotor look ok. Does NOT seem to miss. But Idle is very low and will die once a while when in neutral.

I think you have a clogged catalytic converter.
Maybe you can remove the tailpipe and punch
it out enough to get back home....

Does anyone know where to find a vacuum gage so I can test for restricted exhaust. Any shops or auto stores near furnace creek? I’d hate to cut up the exhaust to find it was fine. Down stream side is welded to the muffler. Once I cut it if I an then jam committed to a hole in the exhaust. Don’t want to make this worse. Would the exhaust leak from the egr transducer port be enough to cause the oxygen sensor to make me run rich enough to kill the at? That port is about 1/16 inch inside diameter. I might have dendritic that way for 500 miles. I did try shorting the fuel pump Ballester resistor but she still wont rev this time last 3600 rpm. But engine is colder now okay be that is why she an rev a bit more thanacouple hours ago when last tested. Can’t do anymore engine tests tonight as I am in a camp ground.

Would a clogged cat cause enough back pressure to blow off the egr exhaust back pressure transducer rubber elbow? I wonder if that is why mine blew me off followed by the transducer itself melting from the hot exhaust flowing out the transducer ports blown of rubber elbow.

When my cat convert got plugged it would glow red hot I punched holes in it so I could drive it home

Iris Not glowing red but can broken bits still be blocking flow enough to cause lack of power?

Absolutely. If the CAT is bolted on instead of welded, just unbolt it. If not, take a hacksaw and cut the exhaust pipe before the CAT. If that is not it, you can fix it for a $5 slip on joint from Autozone.

Absolutely great to hear.
It's scary when you're 500 miles from home and
your horse goes lame.

Back