• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake booster and MC swap issue

Very good to know. The tears were completely empty do to the axle swap. I set the pinion angle perfect (pointed up do to sye) so they very well could have air trapped. I'll take a look!

So the noise is come from the booster not the MC like I thought. The noise is coming from the vacuum line. If i pull the line and plug it with my finger it wont do it. Probably a bad booster like suggested before. Would a bad booster cause the brakes to act weird like air in the lines?

I cracked the prop valve and let it leak for a couple seconds. Also the rear brake cylinders where NOT level at all. I raised the rear as high as I could and bled the whole system again. After all that it's still the same. I have a new master cylinder and am going to pick up another booster. I dont want to replace the MC again if I dont have to but do you guys think a bad booster would cause this?

Thanks for all your suggestions. This is driving me nuts and I just want to drive this thing after months of working on it.

One of those "paid for itself many times over" tools is a hand pump vacuum bleeder. $22 on Amazon with a blow molded case or your local parts store may have one. I tried quick bleeders once, did not like them one bit and that's when I purchased the vacuum bleeder.

There shouldn't be any noise, so I agree that the booster is suspect. MC would make noise as it's being applied, not just sitting there.

I'll try that next time I mess with it.

Just to make sure I'm not an idiot.

The lines on the MC the front one goes to the front brakes and the rear go to the rear brakes? That's how I have it in the MJ with the renix prop valve.

In my 96 XJ the front line goes to the rear brakes and the rear line goes to the front.

Did I goof them up or do the different prop valves route it different? I'm not even sure it matters.

On both my 88 and my 94, the line at the back of the MC (closest to the firewall) goes into the rear port on the PV, but it's actually for the front brakes. The front line on the MC goes to the front port on the PV (closest to the grill) and is for the rear brakes. I have the 95-96 booster and MC in both. It does matter which is connected to which...

Ok maybe I got it backwards. Let me look again. I got a new booster coming tomorrow. So new booster and MC again this weekend. I've gone through $100 in brake fluid lol. Thanks

Working on replacing my booster now. Will be installing 44s with discs front and rear in the near future. Thought about putting dodge 2500 master in to move enough fluid to stop 37s. On 33s now with 8.25 w drums on rear.

Doesn't sound like there is a way to set my brakes up with bigger MC and booster so it will work with both systems?

Blew booster last time out (whoosh pedal) and want to upgrade. Got booster out of rig but not sure what I need to order.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back