• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing a replacement roof

jpk

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone tried to or needed to replace the entire roof on their XJ? If so, what was involved? I have some rust on the rear corners above the drip rails. I'd really like to get it repaired so it won't come back.

Someone else around here has more recently had their roof replaced. I think it is in one of the V8 swap threads, but I can't recall whose. They had a body shop do the job. The final result looked good in the pics.

Yes.

That is the one I had in mind. I don't know why I thought it was in a swap thread.

Thank you.

Has anyone tried to or needed to replace the entire roof on their XJ? If so, what was involved? I have some rust on the rear corners above the drip rails. I'd really like to get it repaired so it won't come back.

That's a odd place for rust, how bad is it? They make sprays that can be applied from inside to neutralize and protect! Some pics?

I wouldn't go though the bother of a roof replacement.

I've had 3 units rust in this location.

Usual rust repair techniques apply.
Remove rust (Remove all rust, grind past surface rust), patch, smooth, prep with rust converter, prime and paint.

If you make sure your patch extends well past the hole, you won't see it rust there again.

I cut two patches out of the roof of an XJ in the JY. I thought it would be a reasonably simple job of cutting out the bad and welding in the new but the body shops I have contacted didn't want to have anything to do with it. I have cleaned out as best I could and POR15'ed the inside. It is a very difficult area to do that because of the structural barriers in there. I also have applied Ospho on the outside and filled with JB Weld Marine. It is currently covered with aluminum tape to keep the water out. I don't drive it when it's raining to keep the areas dry.

I believe the rust started because the rear screws that secure the roof rack weren't tightened down and allowed so water leaks inside.

I'm new to the forum and I too rolled my 1999 XJ. Found a 97 donor cheap with all the parts I need to replace the roof and other bent parts. Is there any archives and/or posts where there are pics? I can't seem to pull up any pics or contact the people who have done this. Thanks

Back