• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

For those with 31's — how do you mount your spare in the stock location?

amongmany

NAXJA Forum User
I have a spare 31 in the stock location, but it's currently held in place by a ratchet strap and it prevents the rear seat from latching correctly.

Anyone care to school me on how to properly mount it so that it fits in the stock location and doesn't prevent the rear seat from latching?

My 31" spare(I believe it's a Gambler rim) is mounted in the stock location with no fitment issues.

In my ‘96 I folded the seat back forward, installed my 31” spare in the stock location then moved the seat back up. Instead of putting the threaded rod through the center of the wheel I put it through the lower wheel stud hole.

Letting a little air out helps, as does removing the lower bracket

Not wanting to hang the spare on the rear bumper or on the roof, the 33 X 10.50 is located inside, where it belongs, in the stock position.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157703957537064/

46054788441_fc8dcbd676.jpg

I made a set of brackets that move the rear seat latch forward. Found this idea on the old Go Jeep site. The rear seat is still quite usable for passengers.
http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/HowtoSpareWheel32inch.htm

I run a 295/75/16 tire and a 33 x 10.50 x 15 spare, mounted on a stock steel wheel and mounted in the stock spare position using a ratchet strap. Trick: I run a Viair 450c compressor underhood and a 2 Gal air tank, so I pulled the valve guts on the spare and used 2 ratchet straps to compress it as much as possible, forcing out the air. I then re-installed the valve guts and mounted the compressed spare in the stock spare location. The deflated and compressed spare tire clears both the hatch and the rear seat.

In the 11 years I've had my current rig, I've never needed a spare. If I do, 5 minutes of compressed air will make my deflated spare drive-able.

Last edited:
I used to throw my 31 inside and aired it down a bit to get the hatch and rear seat to fit. For the mounting I replaced the OEM stuff with a bent 3/8" threaded eye bolt. I just got rid of it for a JCR tire carrier.

Back