• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Working with bondo and chysler touch up paint

Ba-Riedo

has frame envy
A few months ago I decided enough was enough with bushwackers, I was tired of trying to not let them touch trees on the trail to keep them in one piece. When I pulled them off I was left with alot of ugly holes all over.

I am getting THOR guards so the ones in the rear quarter arent a problem. I am most worried about the ones on the rear doors. I have decided to give bondo and chrysler touch up paint a try.

So first off, bondo for beginners... Any tips or pointers I should be given? Im guessing just lay it on and sand it smooth? I just hope that bondo will cover the holes. Im not so worried about that I think I can figure it out, its more the chrysler touch up paint.

Anyone have luck with the late model white? Im hoping I wont have to do the entire door or fender, just the small spots.

I was planning on getting it in the spray cans they sell and just tape off small squares around the holes; bondo, sand, spray...

I will post up pictures of the holes tomorrow and some more in a week when I try the bondo and paint.

-Alex

First off you need to sand the areas you want to fill with Bondo to bare metal. Then you build up the area till it is just higher than the area around the repair. Sand till it is smooth. This takes some time to get right so do not get in a hurry. This WILL reflect in the finished paint. Also you NEVER want to tape off squares. The lines will show and look like crap. You want to wet sand the entire area (at least 3 in around the repair) with 400 or less Wet/dry paper. Then take your tape and news paper and roll it back over on itself if this makes since. You want to create a nice smooth transition from fresh pain to old paint. After 3 or more coats wet sand again with 800 grit wet/dry paper. then with out any tape or paper ( basicly you want to over-spray slightly with the clear. Let it dry for a couple days, then take some rubbing compound and rub the entire area out. Wax and your done. I always laugh when somone thinks, it is as easy as throwing some filler at a dent or hole and shooting paint over it.

:patriot:

Wow, I feel like I just jumped off the high dive. So how should I tape stuff off?

Can you explain the part about tranisitoning between old and new paint a little better? Im kinda lost. Im ready to just rhino line up to the door handles by now...:tear: :helpme:

-Alex

Slow down man dont get overwelmed. LOL What you wanna do is run a strip of tape down the edge of a piece of paper. then tape the piece of paper down. Lift the loose edge up and over the other side but dont fold it down. You now have a nice soft edge instead instead of a sharp one.

Check out my thread below yours. Updated pics of my wagoneer. If you take your time it will look great. If you half ass it, it will show.

Back