• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broken cross member stud help

92jeepxjOR

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to put in a transfer case drop kit and I was trying to pull out one of the studs I was using 2 nuts as a jam nut to get it out and now the stud just spins and moves side to side and I need help trying to figure this out cause I don't want to have just 3 bolts holding that cross member. if anybody has any suggestions please help

You broke the weld inside the frame. Got to cut an access hole in the side now.

No, just cut a 1"x2" square hole and or use a 1" hole saw, just enough to get a box end wrench in there.

IllianaXJ said:
Just drill it out and tap the hole for the next larger size bolt.

How the hell do you drill out a nut that is spinning freely? Not to mention it has a stud stuck in it.... What ya smokin man

92jeepxjOR said:
I think I'm just going to go with the hole saw then just use a nut and a bolt
Probably your best option, a washer against the inside wouldn't be a bad idea either.

92jeepxjOR said:
I think I'm just going to go with the hole saw then just use a nut and a bolt

Also, after you do that, you may be able to find a rubber drain plug the right size to fill the hole of you want. I know Tim has one with his.

the frame rail is so thin i really doubt tapping it would give you enough bite.

yep frame rail is too thin for self tappers- even my self tappers for skid row tcase skid fell out in a week - cut a hole, i tacked my nut to rail then welded 1x2 sheet metal piece back onto rail - i have done this twice!

Back