• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Sounding Exhaust For The 4.0L?

NebraskaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
What aftermarket exhaust sounds the best with the 4.0L engine? I'm looking for something with a deeper, throatier sound if possible (the best example I can come up with is a classic muscle car).

A v8 swap.... the 4.0 will never sound good and deep. I have a banks revolver header and flow master 50 and it resonates. Sounds like a Toyota kinda. A project xj I have has a walker muffler an I much prefer so subtle more refimed sound. YouTube with headphones

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I ran the Banks setup. Sounded pretty good. A little loud for my taste.

A Banks cat-back will give you the deeper, throatier sound you are looking for.
My 97 XJ had the full Banks treatment, header and 2-1/2" exhaust, and it ran great but way too noisy for my taste.
Used a quieter muffler and lost little power, according to the butt dyno. The neighbors were happy with the change.

The Banks muffler had a lot to do with this.

34789502036_15f9351fb3.jpg

4.6 Edlebrock header , flowmaster, 2.5"
I get asked about my exhaust a lot. Pretty sure the stroker contributes to the depth.

Dynomax=Dronomax.

Putting around at 30 mph not bad. At highway speed, you won't hear anything other than the exhaust.

My green XJ just has open headers (long story short the exhaust fell off) It sounds mean as hell, doesn't pass inspection though. SOOOOO fun to drive it through tunnels

I'm happy with the round body, straight through Magnaflow I have on there now. I preferred the sound of the Borla oval body, straight through, that I had on there before. Deeper than the Magnaflow. Too much heat on the rubber driveshaft bellows forced me to replace it with a round body. The body of the Magnaflow still looks good but the exhaust pipe inlet/outlet are rusted like regular exhaust pipe. The Borla is all SS.

Stock 2.25 inch pipe and a Flowmaster 40-series in place of the OEM muffler. A little drone at around 1200 RPM, but otherwise it's just the right extra bit of sound.

Now in California if you cars exhaust is over 95db the cops can ticket you for modified exhaust and it is a $1000 ticket now so if you live in California it is better to keep your car quiet now .

They have always been able to ticket.

And it's not $1000. Stop listening to Facebook.

I've been a Flowmaster fan since the 1992. I often have folks comment that they like the exhaust note of my Jeep, which is running a Magnaflow cat and 3 chamber Flowmaster. I forget the model, as its been on for 12 years and 120k miles.

I have owned the Borla, Banks, Walker, OEM and a custom with Magnaflow. I really liked the Borla but would not spend the money again, the Banks as said is a little loud.

I've been a Flowmaster fan since the 1992. I often have folks comment that they like the exhaust note of my Jeep, which is running a Magnaflow cat and 3 chamber Flowmaster. I forget the model, as its been on for 12 years and 120k miles.

FM 50 since 04 which may be the one you have and a Magnaflow cat.

I have owned the Borla, Banks, Walker, OEM and a custom with Magnaflow. I really liked the Borla but would not spend the money again, the Banks as said is a little loud.

I really wanted the Borla for my '00 with CA Emissions. Seemed kind of a waste though. Both moneywise and the fact that my engine is stock. But I liked the fact that it is the 304 steel, which my research seems to indicate is better then the 409 like MagnaFlow uses, but also because it had the flange that would make it a straight bolt on with the rear cat on the Jeep. I just ended up going with Walker parts.

Back