• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ With Ford 8.8 - Diff Options

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
99 XJ Limited, 4x4 w/242
OK guys, it's time to get the goodies swapped over from the wrecked '92 and get my '99 built. I'm still sourcing parts and the current dilemma is about the Ford 8.8 diff. I had an Aussie installed some years ago, but hard learned experience tells me it has to go and no more auto locker in the rear. Up front I do have an Eaton e-locker so it'll take me places, but out back I'm trying to decide what to do. I really want an OX locker but I don't think I can afford it right now. So ....

** Spider gears ** and leave it open?
** Limited Slip **? If so, which is recommended by those of you who know? I recall when I had a factory ltd slip in my D35 someone observed once that it was "working against" me in the rocks. Would this still hold true with an aftermarket ltd slip?

FYI I am looking for decent snow & on-road manners as well as perhaps an assist off-road even though the e-locker has proven to be more than capable in the rocks. I'll still be running 33s. Please school me & help me to decide.

If I may ask, what was the "hard experience"? I currently have an LSD 8.8 and Eaton up front, was planning on swapping in an Aussie myself.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

LSD takes a bit different driving style to keep it engaged. needs a little wheel spin and some throttle to keep things moving.

IMO LSDs aren't reliable for a rig that sees trail time often. you doing rocks or mud or some of both?

auto lockers aren't the best for winter driving so I'd just leave it open until you get the scratch together for a selectable

I'm running a Trutrac in my 8.8. Love it. Super glad I didn't go locker. Really great in the snow and on the road. I have an LS motor so when I want to pitch it sideways and keep the control the Trutrac holds up. As for off-road it's great. It does take a different driving style than a locker but that's the challenge. I haven't gotten stuck yet. I'm running a Trutrac up front as well on the D30.

If I may ask, what was the "hard experience"? I currently have an LSD 8.8 and Eaton up front, was planning on swapping in an Aussie myself.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Slippery icy winter conditions, unfamiliar road, multiple downhill SSS curves, picking up speed, tap, tap the brakes to avoid drifting, still picking up speed - ok hit the brakes - auto locker gets its cue to apply power to already slipping wheel .... the result? Well let's just say we ended rubber side up. In a situation where all you're trying to do is steer & please-lord-stop-curving-the-downhill-road, an enthusiastic assist from my rear diff is not welcome.

Let this not become a discussion about driving skills. We're all excellent drivers until that one time ....

LSD takes a bit different driving style to keep it engaged. needs a little wheel spin and some throttle to keep things moving.
I don't know if I drove differently when I had it in the '92, but it had excellent on-road manners especially in adverse conditions. Then I got bit by the offroad bug & bye-bye LSD ...

IMO LSDs aren't reliable for a rig that sees trail time often. you doing rocks or mud or some of both? I much prefer rocks. Circumstances have a way of throwing stuff at you, but may I never again put rubber to mud! I don't wheel often, certainly not nearly as much as I'd like. But I do crave my XJ over my Durango in the wintry stuff.

auto lockers aren't the best for winter driving (No kidding!) so I'd just leave it open until you get the scratch together for a selectable
I just thought, rather than spending twice for the labor, since they're gonna have it apart anyway to ditch the Aussie, I'd have them put in something I can be happy (and safer) with. Was kinda hoping to hear that a good LSD would be a great option over just spiders.

I very much prefer a rear locker for pavement driving in Minnesota winters. For future winter driving reference, one should be using 4x4 and not using OverDrive so that the engine braking compression can be used to your advantage. Even with both diffs open, 4x4 increases the stability and resistance to the rear end coming around.

A factory clutch type Limited Slip is OK for winters and dirt roads, but is not much good on the 4x4 trails. If you do not want an auto-locker, either an open diff or a selectable locker. The only Limited Slip worth the cost of installation, is a Detroit TruTrac. Some of my local 4x4 club buddies install their auto-locker in the spring, and remove it in the fall.

Last edited:
Some of my local 4x4 club buddies install their auto-locker in the spring, and remove it in the fall.

Great idea! pretty easy to pop them in and out once you've done it a time or two.

for the amount of wheeling you do, I'd probably just put spider back in it. you're still locked up front when you want and have the road manners you need. or go detroit in the rear!

Last edited:
Great idea! pretty easy to pop them in and out once you've done it

Mostly it is a front axle auto-locker that is annoying in the winter, but installing/removing a LockRight type locker in either axle is a simple task.

Last edited:
Back