• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cluster swap Q

89xjJe3per

NAXJA Forum User
OK i have a dummy cluster and want to switch it to one with a tach. i have been reading alot up on this. SO HERES MY Q my cluster is a lil diff to the all lights dummy cluster. I have a tach for oil presure and a tach for my temp and battry ect.. the thing i do have is THAT BIG AS@ STUPID GAS GUAGE. would i need to go tought the proscess of changing the oil and temp sensors if i dont have the dummy lights... once again the only dummy thing on my gauge is the huge freakin gas gauge

NO, if you already have the two guages and they are working you already have the right sensors.

Just find a cluster with a tach. Since you have all gauges, you do not need to swap the temp and oil senders.

The tach cluster is plug and play, no extra wiring needed. Depending on year, 84-86 plug and play, and 87-90 are plug and play.

I did this upgrade on my 89 because I had that stupid gas gauge too and no tack. It was simple remove old and put in new and your done. I would try to find the one your looking for out of the same year vehicle so you dont have any problems with it but its well worth it. I also changed from a ugly blue highlight on the gauges to a orangish/red color. Looks alot better.

Chad29860 said:
I did this upgrade on my 89 because I had that stupid gas gauge too and no tack. It was simple remove old and put in new and your done. I would try to find the one your looking for out of the same year vehicle so you dont have any problems with it but its well worth it. I also changed from a ugly blue highlight on the gauges to a orangish/red color. Looks alot better.

Back