• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trying to Replace the Torque Shaft Bearing

GoneSouth

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to replace the torque shaft bearing on my 2000XJ AW-4 transmission/231 transfer case because of a rattle that is working its way from the torque shaft bearing into the passanger compartment through the transfer case shift linkage and shifter.

Last weekend I tried to replace the bearing with a new one but ran into a problem disassembling the torque shaft from the linkage bracket that is mounted on the transmission/transfer case.

From the looks of it the only way to get the bearing assembly off the torque shaft is by removing the torque shaft from the linkage bracket mounted on the transmission. The issue is removing the linkage bracket and hard plastic bushing holding the torque shaft in place. It looks like the bushing is pressed into the bracket from the transmission side such that the bracket will have to be removed to get everything disassemblied.

I really don't want to remove the bracket since access to the bolts that hold the bracket in place are minimual at best. I have the service manual and it is no help.

There has to be an easy way...has anyone had to replace the bearing, remove the torque shaft and/or the bracket? If so is there an easy way? If not is there an alternate approach?

Also how is the plastic bushing removed and replaced?

Thanks
GoneSouth

You are correct that you need to have the torque shaft out of the green bushing to remove it. Just use a prybar and pry the torque shaft out of the bushing. Pry between the trans bracket and the shaft arm. Usually you don't damage the bushing enough to cause problems, but the updated torque shaft kit should come with a new one. Use the front driveline as a fulcrum for the prybar to reinstall the shaft.

Bryan

Fixed Problem

Bryan C. Thanks finally got back to it today. The prybar approach worked. Rattle is fixed.

Thanks! :)

Back