• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken door-hinge welds: cheap n easy fix!

That a really good idea. I have a 2dr and at work one day a strong gust of wind blew the damn driver door off.

Did you have witnesses?

'Cause that's the absolute best, when somebody else SEES the door actually fall off your rig! :D

Robert

Thanks for the thread!

I use my XJ for fishing trips, and winter driving. I just got in on the road for the winter here in Minnesota after not having driven it all summer, and noticed the sagging door that I had forgotten about.

Now that I think about it, I remember when it is -30F here, supercooled air comes in through the crack and freezes my left shoulder and elbow!

It's the beginning of December now, and I feel I'm running out of time. I just replaced the cooling system, which was my highest priority...can't decide if I'll do this repair, or just use the passenger door until spring!

Chrysler's decision to weld the hinge to the sheet metal reminds me of another poor decision to weld to the unibody--I remember having to bust off some nuts on the top rear shock mounts that were tacked to the sheet metal, and replacing them with nuts and bolts with the bolts facing downward.

BTW, thanks for this forum--my cooling system replacement went great and thanks to the info from this forum, the Jeep is running at perfect temperature...haven't seen that performance in 2 or 3 years! I burped it and everything.

Thanks again.

I know this thread is old, but just as useful. I going to do this, but I have a question. Did you do anything to make up for the diff where the upper hinge now sits. Did you space it out the same distance as the thickness of the removed metal and if not did it seem to make much diff in the way the door fit afterwards? Also did you use fine threaded bolts (#8?) or coarse? Thanks,Scott.

I know this thread is old, but just as useful. I going to do this, but I have a question. Did you do anything to make up for the diff where the upper hinge now sits. Did you space it out the same distance as the thickness of the removed metal and if not did it seem to make much diff in the way the door fit afterwards? Also did you use fine threaded bolts (#8?) or coarse? Thanks,Scott.

No I didn't, but that's a good thought...

My rig is so beat up (remember, this started when the door fell OFF) that you'll never notice a slightly misaligned panel.

And there is some adjustment in the door side of the hinge, if you cared about perfect alignment. But you're right, it might be a good idea to slip in a small piece of 1/8" plate to space the hinge back out... Good point...

I used standard 3/8-16 (course thread) bolts, just because 99% of everything at work is coarse thread. There's no way it'd make any difference at all if you prefer fine thread, except I think they're harder to tap...

Thanks for the bump! This was definitely one of my proudest and most effective repairs. Still mounted SOLID three years of dd and wheeling later!

And welcome to NAXJA!

Robert

Thanks!! I'm gonna start on this tomorrow, but I think I'm gonna have to cut a bigger hole 'cause the previous owner had it welded up at some point and whoever did it ate up a bunch of good metal and now it has fallen off again. But your instructions are clear and easy, so I feel confident that I can do it. Thanks again, Scott.

this should be in the faq section, as this is a problem that every XJ will eventually face. It's nice to see a method that doesn't involve welding as well, any do-it-yourselfer can do this in their own driveway without having access to a welder or the skill to use it.

this should be in the faq section, as this is a problem that every XJ will eventually face. It's nice to see a method that doesn't involve welding as well, any do-it-yourselfer can do this in their own driveway without having access to a welder or the skill to use it.
I completely agree. This is the kind of high quality tech/repair job that really should be in the FAQ section.

any do-it-yourselfer can do this in their own driveway without having access to a welder or the skill to use it.

Woohoo! I'm the patron saint of the ill-equipped unskilled Jeeper! :laugh:

Seriously, I'll wear that like a badge of honor! Thanks for the kind words, guys. Happy to help...

Robert

Man this showed up at the right time.My wifes 2 door is starting to break.Now i have your fix to do it right.Thank you.

I also saved/copied your pics just in case.

I used standard 3/8-16 (course thread) bolts, just because 99% of everything at work is coarse thread. There's no way it'd make any difference at all if you prefer fine thread, except I think they're harder to tap...

Robert
fine threads are far easier to tap than course, fyi.

nice idea for the repair, i still dont know how my doors are still attached, it practically takes 2 hands to open them, they're so stiff. no sagging yet though....

Glad I found this thread, def going to try this with my 95 XJ. My BOTTOM hinge broke out after I had welded the top one on so I can't get the darn thing to close!

My question to the author: Where did you get the hinges from that go on the door? I've been looking all over the internet for a hinge replacement for a Cherokee XJ and have found NOTHING. ANY help is appreciated!!!

Junkyard... don't believe they're available as a separate part since they're welded onto the unibody. I'll check the parts catalog, but they're probably NLA from the dealer too at this point.

Thanks for bumping this up to the top again, I was just going to look at it as the top hinge on the driver door of my MJ finally broke the rest of the way off while on the trail yesterday. Going Dukes of Hazzard through the window is funny the first three or four times, but gets old fast after that.

Where did you get the hinges from that go on the door?

Not 100% sure i understand what you're asking; It's just the stock hinge, factory installed in 1989. With two new holes drilled to bolt it to my plate.

The hinge itself is SO stout (1/2" think maybe?) I can't imagine having to replace it. The problem is where that slug of steel is welded to the unibody.

Now mine have been modified (bottom ear cut off the door side) to allow easy door removal, so they might look a little different from yours, but they're just the factory units...

Good luck with it, and post back if you need more help!

Robert

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to NAXJA!

Last edited:
Am i the only one who had a hard time with removing the hinge pins? I ended up breaking my top hinge pin, had to heat it and when i finally popped it out with a hammer and punch the bottom end of it busted off. I think its still reusable but not sure if i should risk that or just go to the junkyard and get another..

Yep. Mine were a pain in the ass to get out, too. Ended up drilling some/most of them. (Too late to help you now, but I seem to remember the pass side pins were actually driven up into the hinge and have to go down and out, opposite the driver side...)

Mopar's right, a 1/4" bolt works perfectly. I didn't even bother to tack it. The weight of the door holds it in place.

Robert

Back