• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5 pound fire extinguisher mounting

Lanser1999

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I decided to go with a 5 lb fire extinguisher and was just looking for some ideas for where to mount this sucker. Anyone have any ideas?

Someplace where it won't break loose and whack you in the back of the head.

I keep a 2 1/2 lb under the rear seat, along with duct tape, spare radiator hoses and the OEM jack. Don't think there's room for a 5 pounder there though.

5lb is pretty large. I have a smaller dry chem mounted in the little cubby hole in the cargo area.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

So after working EMS for a few years, it occurred to me that having a fire extinguisher mounted in an area easily accessible to the driver while buckled was the best option. I plan on mounting one to the lower portion of the center console

As a FF/EMT I've thought of this as well and after many times trying to find out how to mount even a small extinguisher upfront where I could reach it without interfering with the seat's movement, my legs, or my passengers I gave up.

I think the only thing I might be able to pull off is one of those aerosol can type extinguishers between the door sill and seat.

As a FF/EMT I've thought of this as well and after many times trying to find out how to mount even a small extinguisher upfront where I could reach it without interfering with the seat's movement, my legs, or my passengers I gave up.

I think the only thing I might be able to pull off is one of those aerosol can type extinguishers between the door sill and seat.
Good point. Maybe one small up front and a larger one in the rear.

I decided quick access to the fire extinguisher is more important than movement of the driver's seat (The Bride is pretty tall too) and so I mounted my extinguisher right up against the front of the driver's seat. That makes for very easy, quick access.

If movement of the driver's seat were a priority I think it would be possible to fabricobble a mounting bracket that would travel with the seat.

Back in my racing days, even with onboard fire systems, we always attached a 2.5lb extinguisher to the floorboards under the driver's knees.

I decided quick access to the fire extinguisher is more important than movement of the driver's seat (The Bride is pretty tall too) and so I mounted my extinguisher right up against the front of the driver's seat. That makes for very easy, quick access.

If movement of the driver's seat were a priority I think it would be possible to fabricobble a mounting bracket that would travel with the seat.

This is exactly how mine was. I never had issues up there, it's really not in the way.

you want it somewhere easy to reach, where it won't kill you if you hit your head. I bought a quick-release mount, and mounted one each to the passenger and driver side seats. I used h3r halon.. granted.. I have 2.5 lb units in the front, mounted 5 pound units in the rear .. mounted the brackets to the plastic molding over the rear wheel wells (got rid of those mounts after getting a roll cage, now just have the extinguishers mounted on the cage)

you want it somewhere easy to reach, where it won't kill you if you hit your head. I bought a quick-release mount, and mounted one each to the passenger and driver side seats. I used h3r halon.. granted.. I have 2.5 lb units in the front, mounted 5 pound units in the rear .. mounted the brackets to the plastic molding over the rear wheel wells (got rid of those mounts after getting a roll cage, now just have the extinguishers mounted on the cage)
You plan on rolling up to a house fire?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

You plan on rolling up to a house fire?

no.. but I have rolled my truck.. on the off chance that I'm not quick enough to hit the fuel-pump/master electrical emergency shut down switch, I want something within arm's reach that will give me enough time to get out of the truck. The one's in the back ..well.. maybe those are overkill.

no.. but I have rolled my truck.. on the off chance that I'm not quick enough to hit the fuel-pump/master electrical emergency shut down switch, I want something within arm's reach that will give me enough time to get out of the truck. The one's in the back ..well.. maybe those are overkill.
Better safe than sorry I suppose.

How do you mount them?

Better safe than sorry I suppose.

How do you mount them?

truck is in the shop, I'll post a pic when I get back.. it's a quick-release mount, mounted to the frame of the seat, perpendicular to the door sill.. sits just about parallel to my ankles, big red knob to yank and the extinguisher pops right out.

Back