• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Most Useful Welding Tools?

milarson

NAXJA Forum User
I have the usual assortment of C-clamps, welders, vise grips, ect. I'm looking for that elusive "couldn't figure out how I lived without it" tool that I don't have yet. I like StrongHand Tools, they make some neat stuff, but I'd like to see what y'all have by the welder, especially if its homemade. Pics are nice.

An on/off magnet. All mine have a bunch of metal shavings or welding stuff stuck to them.

Anti spatter/nozzle gel might be nice but I don’t weld enough to try it out.

The single thing that has made the bigget difference for me has been a set of prescription glasses with an 18" focal distance. Clearly they are a task specific set of glasses, and not the sort of thing you are going to find at your local welder's supply. Nonetheless, I would say that whatever improves your ability to see your puddle (safely) is more important than any other gadget.

I too do like my magswitch.

I would say my cart .... it's so nice having everything in one place accounted for

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

If you have to weld underneath a jeep on the ground, say, frame stiffeners. You want a leather welding blanket, versus an itchy fiberglass one. They also make welding pillows, which are great for you guessed it, propping up your head while welding on the ground wrapped up in a leather welding blanket.

I modify my welding helmet in two ways. First I rivet a headlamp to the chin area, then way down at the bottom where it rides your neck, I put a simple 2” wide U shaped drawer pull, so I don’t pull beard hairs from out when lifting the welding hood.

I like that headlamp idea, though I am struggling with a sense of how you would rivet it to the helmet. None of mine have any kind of flange that would lend itself to that. Are you putting the rivets through the elastic band?

And how well does the lens of the headlamp hold up to the spatter? I know the shield on my helmet takes a bit of a beating that way, and that is with it being designed to take that, and being readily replaced. Do you find that the headlamps are only good for so many hours? Or is it one of those things that really doesn't matter, as long as you get some extra light you are good?

They also make welding pillows, which are great for you guessed it, propping up your head while welding on the ground wrapped up in a leather welding blanket..

YES. I rednecked one; a 1" chunk of foam taped to a chunk of (wood) 4x4.

I would add to the list a few various size/shaped pieces of 1/8" or so pieces of copper. helpful when filling in or reducing the size of a hoes and cant get a grinder at the backside. You can buy a clamp with a copper disc on one side, but it isn't always going to fit. I've had to use a block and wedges at times to hold the copper tight to the back surface. Your weld won't stick to the copper.

Last edited:
Forgot about this. I used to have two of them, but sold one; isn't that right Sequoia? That is a 50 ft long extension cord specifically for welders. It is probably the handiest thing I have with regards to welder accessories. They are a bit pricey, but well worth it. With my Miller 212, and now with the 252; I don't know the difference between the extension cord, or straight to the plug. As long as the cord handles the draw, you could actually just tweak your settings on the welder a bit. Never found that to be necessary, though.

Last edited:
I like that headlamp idea, though I am struggling with a sense of how you would rivet it to the helmet. None of mine have any kind of flange that would lend itself to that. Are you putting the rivets through the elastic band?

And how well does the lens of the headlamp hold up to the spatter? I know the shield on my helmet takes a bit of a beating that way, and that is with it being designed to take that, and being readily replaced. Do you find that the headlamps are only good for so many hours? Or is it one of those things that really doesn't matter, as long as you get some extra light you are good?

I use the cheap rayovac ones from Home Depot, there’s a part that swivels away from the body of the headlamp, so you can tilt them when on your head. Like so: C|/ . The part on the back can easily be riveted to the flat surface of the helmet.

As far as longevity, If your doing this long term and professionally enough to worry about that, you can afford proper lighting in your shop!
Mine have lasted long enough for me! I wouldn’t put a petzl on there though!

Thank you for the response.

Funny you should mention Petzl--those are exactly what I own.

After I replied yesterday I went looking and found a youtube of a guy who is doing essentially the same thing, but using double-hook (like velcro, but stronger) tape to attach the headlamp. I can see the benefit of that in case the headlamp is interfering with where you need to put your head (like trying to weld that crack in the header without pulling out of the vehicle).

I ordered some cheap headlamps and double-hook tape. I will play around with the idea and see what seems to work best for me.

I appreciate you sharing the idea. Odds are I never would have thought of it myself.

Back