• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

custom built center console?

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm ditching my center console, going to build one out of sheetmetal, looking for some ideas... if anyone has done this, post some pics!!

I'm using a 50cal ammo can

That seems like a perfect match for your user ID. LOL.

Fabricating a metal console is something I have toyed with, but there is a lot going on there, and keeping it efficient and pleasant to live with will be a challenge.

One tip I can suggest is to use annealed aluminum sheet for areas that need to have curves and are not going to be high stress. You can anneal aluminum sheet easily if you have an oxy/acetylene rig. Start by setting your torch (rosebud) to run ridiculously rich so that you are getting black wisps of carbon off it. Use that setting to coat the aluminum sheet in black soot. Then adjust your torch to a proper flame and use it to heat the sheet such that the soot burns off. Once that cools you will have a sheet of material that can be easily bent/manipulated by hand.

I recommend the above because hard corners are generally unpleasant to live with. I look at Frank Lloyd Wright's designs and then consider his own statement:
In a 1931 lecture, Frank Lloyd Wright said, “I have been black and blue in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts with my own furniture.”
And I can see why. There is a better way, and curves and radiused corners are part of it.

Fabricating a metal console is something I have toyed with, but there is a lot going on there, and keeping it efficient and pleasant to live with will be a challenge.

One tip I can suggest is to use annealed aluminum sheet for areas that need to have curves and are not going to be high stress. You can anneal aluminum sheet easily if you have an oxy/acetylene rig. Start by setting your torch (rosebud) to run ridiculously rich so that you are getting black wisps of carbon off it. Use that setting to coat the aluminum sheet in black soot. Then adjust your torch to a proper flame and use it to heat the sheet such that the soot burns off. Once that cools you will have a sheet of material that can be easily bent/manipulated by hand.

I recommend the above because hard corners are generally unpleasant to live with. I look at Frank Lloyd Wright's designs and then consider his own statement: And I can see why. There is a better way, and curves and radiused corners are part of it.

thanks ... I'm going to try and stick with steel sheet metal, I'm set up for mig, and would prefer not to have to buy more tools.. for this project anyway. It's bendable, and for the corners, well, that's what the angle grinder is for :)

I recommend the above because hard corners are generally unpleasant to live with. I look at Frank Lloyd Wright's designs and then consider his own statement: And I can see why. There is a better way, and curves and radiused corners are part of it.

3000-series aluminum is also very easy to work with and doesn't need much in the way of pre-treating.

thanks ... I'm going to try and stick with steel sheet metal, I'm set up for mig, and would prefer not to have to buy more tools.. for this project anyway. It's bendable, and for the corners, well, that's what the angle grinder is for :)

Super easy to work steel sheetmetal with a cheap set of hammers:

https://www.harborfreight.com/Body-And-Fender-Set-7-Pc-63259.html

Shouldn't need to grind a huge amount and the $30 for the set (after obligatory 20% off coupon) is very much worth it.

3000-series aluminum is also very easy to work with and doesn't need much in the way of pre-treating.

Super easy to work steel sheetmetal with a cheap set of hammers:

https://www.harborfreight.com/Body-And-Fender-Set-7-Pc-63259.html

Shouldn't need to grind a huge amount and the $30 for the set (after obligatory 20% off coupon) is very much worth it.

yeah, I have a crap ton of sheet metal left over from my last project and set up for Mig welding, I'm probably going to just stick with steel.

Check Builtnotboughtjeep (I think) on Instagram. he has a teal XJ and did a custom console and dash.

Pretty sure he has pictures of the build on there.

Check Builtnotboughtjeep (I think) on Instagram. he has a teal XJ and did a custom console and dash.

Pretty sure he has pictures of the build on there.

thanks! I'll check it out.

I bought a ratty full console for cheap on flebay, going to use that as a mockup today from cardboard for a basic design . May ditch the ebrake, or replace it with an electric solenoid to create more space. haven't figured out if it's easier to weld the pieces together or bend/weld. leaning towards welding everything …

Back