• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 rear with Disc Brakes. Problem

jbaker318

NAXJA Forum User
Purchased my first XJ back in Jan. Love it already had some mods on it done prior to me and now trying to fix everything that was done.

Previous owner put an 8.25 Chrysler rear end and converted to rear disc brakes. I have tried to talk to him about it and he said it was off a liberty and new calipers rotors etc. But the rear is dragging i can tell when i hit the brake i hear a noise from the rotor dragging on the pedal and off. This is happening at the time with the brakes are applied.
Yesterday the rear brakes are now making noise while driving you can hear it squealing. i emailed the guy and he said it may be the parking brake shoes?? but the parking brake doesn't work the cable to the handle inside is broken.
I asking if he changed the proportioning valve or put in a TJ spring as i have read. He said maybe that. Where should i start looking its a automatic so fixing the rear parking brake isnt a high priority to me but this loud noise and dragging need fixed. I can tell the rear wheels are covered in brake dust and in the receipts he gave me he had rear pads brought 2 times in less than a year.

any suggestion or direction would be great!

Everything you do is useless until you take them apart and see what is happening. It will probably be obvious.

proportioning valve will have nothing to do with it.

if he didn't change the spring in the proportioning valve it wouldn't cause any problems? I just sounds like they are not releasing or possible the parking brake could be dragging. I was just starting on diagnosing especially since he couldn't remember if did that our not

Everything you do is useless until you take them apart and see what is happening. It will probably be obvious.

proportioning valve will have nothing to do with it.

No, it would not cause any problems.

In fact just changing the spring does **** all, regardless what the internet says.

Honestly you haven't started diagnosing until you pull the wheels off and start looking. ;)

Im going to do that tonight after work just getting my ducks in row of what i might need. When i can start most places are closed 12 hr shifts suck a**
No, it would not cause any problems.

In fact just changing the spring does **** all, regardless what the internet says.

Honestly you haven't started diagnosing until you pull the wheels off and start looking. ;)

Buy some brake fluid if you don't have any on hand and maybe some caliper grease for the slide pins. It wouldn't hurt to bleed to calipers or lube the slide pins while you're there, but hopefully the issue is right under your nose.

Im going to do that tonight after work just getting my ducks in row of what i might need. When i can start most places are closed 12 hr shifts suck a**

Did you get a look at it last night?

Also check that all your lines are clear of kinks and that your flex hoses are in good shape.

Back