• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing valve stem seals

justright92xj

NAXJA Forum User
i just got new valve stem seals from napa. they are victor reinz. the question i have is this. it came with six black seals, and six orange seals. seperate bags, separate part numbers. how in the world do i know which ones are intake and wich ones are exhast? other than the color, they look exactly the same.

Other way round. Brown ones are for the intakes and the black ones for the exhausts. I used them on my stroker.
You'll need to remove the valve springs to install the new seals so make sure the valves don't fall into the cylinders, or else you'll have to remove the head to retrieve them. To avoid that, just make sure the piston is at TDC on the cylinder that you're working on.

Remove rockers, then use air to presurize the cylinder thru the spark plug hole, it will keep the valves closed once the rockers are off. Most REAL parts stores should have the spark plug adapter as well as any of the tool trucks...

I got some new valve stem seals and was confused for a bit until I took a good close look at them. One set had a veery small "IN" printed (molded) on them. The others had a very small "EX" molded on them. Unfortunately I didn't by the same brand so I can't help you with part numbers.

Back