• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guys I'll be real with you.

Evan03

NAXJA Forum User
I ****ed up, maybe so bad I can't even pin point wear.

Things I know. She got hot she locked up for a split second at 65 lurched sideways I thought it was clutch transmission. Rodeod her down coasting to a stop
Kinda regrouped still had motor clutch and transmission.
Dana 30 and grizzly then had a tough task minus one inner shaft. Toss it 4wd make the right turn off the freeway welded rear still holding one front squealing rear rumbling. At this point I know I've screwed up. doubtful it let loose for any othere reason than me being at error
Ended up getting a trailer rear was rumbling way to much.

In the garage now recouping seems to much damage to point to anyone thing.

Bad gear (me)set smoked bearing then they loosed up and grenaded letting loose all together of ring gear.

Got so hot the pinion shims are gone.

Anyways getting back on the saddle have a another gear and bearings set will clean shapernel from houseing and see if I can get it right this time.

Gears are from Rons machine. Not sure if he feels bad or just happen stance but yukon gears arrived. Definitely more finished looking than the USA standerd line.

All for now.
d4ee6c749176d1b05f08586046f948be.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Made good progress.
All races punched out. New bearings on carrier set up bearings on pinion.

Gota make center pin fit then start trial and error

Not sure of I should grind pin or ring gear tooth. Last time I ground two ring gear teeth to fit pin.
6e920a8c8dbcbeb37781cef7c1ea1ef6.jpg

Fluid was good. Been checking it each day I use it aswell packs my temp gun. I did see 100deg on it where front was normally 80.

The day it went it was on fresh gear oil. Burned about 70miles most ar 65 getting to the trail.

I was pretty bummed but have since talked more with a few in the gear diff industry seems they've all smoked a few.

Going to make it better. As I want to get it right even if I have to do it a 3rd time. The sky's the limit if I can become confident in my gearing ability

You'd have to grind a lot of crosspin to make that work. Failure didn't come from a couple short ring teeth

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Getting ready to run a pattern backlash is a tight 6.
Decided I don't like the 8.25. Its much easier installing carrier shims than these damn side adjusters

Getting ready to run a pattern backlash is a tight 6.
Decided I don't like the 8.25. Its much easier installing carrier shims than these damn side adjusters

You’re the first person I’ve heard admit this. Side adjusters are much quicker than stacking while I think.

That may be why the gear-set failed!

Yes I agree side adjusters may have sized me into failure, either way I screwed up

Maybe I was having a hard time. But took me forever to just get side adjusters in. Might be worth while to pull axle to do it on the bench.

I got d30 carrier pre load then had backlash set in less time than just getting carrier in and ready to adjust

There is a reason gear setups cost so much. Really tedious work and thousands of an inch matter. There are so many setting that can go wrong and then there is pattern reading. Definitely NOT something I’d personally want to rush through.

Trust me I haven't rushed. Well maybe took about a week to do it the first time
Never ran a pattern last night. My makita light battery died i was like okay bed time.

It cost about 700 per axle minus parts around here to get gears done.

I'm curious what type of tools you're using to get it measured and done

I knew setting up gears was not easy, but didn't realize the type of failure at risk if it's wrong!

Dial indicator, calipers, press, tourge wrench, bfh, big impact bearing driver set carrier bearing puller,, to set pinion preload two fabbed side adjusters with a ratchet on each. I now have a assortment of set up bearings wishing I had a yoke with no splines.
So far damage is done more to my pride than anything.

3sets of gears and bearings is about what labor cost on one axle so im still on the good side on this axle

Taking it slower making sure all numbers hit, adjust and repeat then tear down press on bearings and cross fingers its spot on with pinion set up bearings

Confidence is down some but I am starting to feel backlash and hear I can make a few adjustments check it and im in the ball park at 6-8 i think 6-12 is the 8.25 backlash acceptable range. 8ish probly ideal.
1b33119a9e940a28e5fae287780a9a3a.jpg

I believe that’s a good pattern according to the Yukon gear setup instructions online.

Back