• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Universal joints, front

Down under

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, pick your brains please!
Got a 97 XJ, and soon to put new hubs in.
(No abs) standard D30.
So I think ... what the heck, axles are out. So I might as well put new "U" joints on the front axles.
Plus new upper and lower joints.
Make a day of it!
BUT... are the axel "U" joints the same part as the front drive shaft " U" joint?
The Jap Toyo brand are available here in Australia at a reasonable price.
# K5-13 XR ?
Do I just I just need 3 of the same to do the front end up?
No front cardinal shaft ( think) !
Thanx in advance!

The XJ Cherokee D30 axle u-joints are not the same as the driveshaft u-joints. The auto parts store should be able to cross reference the Spicer part numbers. 1995-2001 should have the larger 5-297x u-joints.

large.jpg

Cheers guys!
With cross referencing jeep parts in oz, it seems there is like a copyright on them.
You just end up with dumb blank looks!
As if they don't get a hit their computers!
Painfull!
And I think eBay should force sellers to disclose country of Origin!
Sick of Chinese CRAP!

www.rockauto.com is great for finding alternate part numbers. I think they ship worldwide also.

As noted above, 5-297x u-joints are discontinued and can be replaced with 5-760x.

Thanks guys!
My rig has the 8.25 Chrysler.
Are the 4 uni joints all the same on the prop shafts front and back?
Did any jeeps come out standard with a double cardan on the rear that can be swapped into 97 XJ ?

Been bloody 20 years since I've fitted a set.
As there any issue with taking too the old uni and just cutting it twice just inside the yolk?
All care of course, but would it make it easier to press out ?

Thanks guys!
My rig has the 8.25 Chrysler.
Are the 4 uni joints all the same on the prop shafts front and back?
Did any jeeps come out standard with a double cardan on the rear that can be swapped into 97 XJ ?
No XJs came standard with a rear double cardan shaft. Many folks use a front drive shaft in the rear when doing a SYE kit.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Go with a known quality name brand. Non greasable i.e. permanent lubed joints are considered strongest verses greasable if all other things same. The grease passages can weaken the cross piece.

Full circle snap rings are preferred to the stock C rings. You can buy these. However stock axle forks will need bit of grinding to clear the full circle snap ring, easy job. Way it is, the stock with fork not cleared all around, they had to use the C ring, but that C ring can walk around, and it can walk right out of its groove as it walks up the metal that will be ground away to fit a full circle full circle snap ring.

Spicer is a good brand of U joint. it was recommended to me by 4wd people as a good brand, I run it, and have done rock crawling with 33x12.5 tires, U joints have not failed me.
Sure you may find a half price copy, or no name joint, but if it fails, its a lot of work to replace, and failure can destroy an axle, negating any savings of low purchase price of the imitation U joint. Don't go cheapo here!

Locally, I dont know what are good brands available to you, so ask a local 4wd shop, or 4wd club.

My friend lost a cup on his axle U joint when the C ring walked out. The axle fork got bent when this happened. So he had to replace the axle, he clearanced his axles with a small grinder and fit full circle snap rings on both left and right axles, That never will strand him again.

So consider...
a.. Use non greasable joint.
b. Use name brand for sure.
c. Use full circle snap rings.

Cheers from America! Australia is a real nice place, nice people. Been there, so I say that with certainty.

Are there a lot of XJs down under? Do you drive a US built xj or other? Right hand drive, correct? What is the xj scene like? I know Toyotas where big in Australia a long time ago, saw a gazillion of them. There was an industry of converting American cars, to right drive, big market for importing muscle cars and classics, but unless they are a museum piece, they where converted. I saw dashboard assemblies, for Mustang, Camero, Malibu, etc... even pick up trucks like Ford or GM. These dash assembly's were made with right hand drive offered for sale as conversion kits, so after conversion it looked like it was factory made right drive. Seemed to be a good sized right drive conversion industry for the car hobby market.

Thanx heaps guys. I got some spider joints delivered today, plus a pair of the better outer seal kits.
$220 au !
We call it jeep tax here!
Yes SBR Off road where very helpful.
Going to hold off for a week till I can afford the ball joint kit.
$340au...(terraflex) do it all in one hit.
Will hit that link on tail shafts shortly.
Yet to catch up on lingo of "SLE" etc.
Still unsure if the two front drive U joints are the same as the back 2!!!!

Sadly not too many Xjs I see on the road these days here in oz.
My 97 "sport extreme " (badged as here) has the Chrysler 8.25 in it!
Very rare diff here. So very hard to source parts!
Zero open centers I know of out here. Had to import one to fit a Spartan locka..$$$$$
+ it's illegal here in Australia to have them fitted!!!!
(Unless you can disengage it from inside)!!!!
A panel beater in Sydney gave away the proffession to convert LHD to RHD 30 years ago.
Doing well.
Obviously some things are back to front to your models.
Alternator is up top on RHD side ( mods needed to get to #1 plug but)
Jeep went down here in the early 2000 models, but picking back up. See a few newer ones now.
Thank God you guys put stuff up on YouTube!
Big help!

Back