• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to Buy Air Cleaner Housing Top Securing Clip?

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi....

For a 1990, inline six... need a replacement wire clip that secures the airfilter housing to the housing top. There are supposed to be six clips on the housing, but one is missing. What I am looking for is the bent spring steel wire type of clip, the later style XJ's had a stamped sheet spring steel kind of clip.

Who carries this part? Anyone got a spare one to sell? Or is it off to a wrecker?

Thanks!

Got an airbox from a 2001 XJ at wrecker. The box is much more rigid than that of the 1990. has many vertical ribs molded into it to stiffen it. My lid fits, but tabs on one side of the box need be cut off to make lid fit.

I will need to cut the warm up air valve assembly off my old air box and graft onto the new one. Evidently the 2001 jeep didnt have the warm air tube hooked to the intake like the 1990 did.

Question.. Were there jeep years, and which years that had both the more rigid airbox, AND the warm up air valve? When was the warm up air system eliminated?

I assume I need the warm up air system to pass smog testing, correct?

Not sure what an 1990 XJ air cleaner looks like. Is it like this?
https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts-list/1990-jeep-cherokee/fuel-air-cleaner.html?Diagram=000018Y7

Looks like a later model air cleaner except for the hot air intake on the front of the box.
The air cleaners are made of a plastic that can be glued with a plastic epoxy.
You may be able to take a later model box, cut the front out of your old box and graft the hot air intake onto the later model box.
Will an inspector notice the lack of the hot air intake? Depends on if it looks stock, the experience of the inspector and if the smog computer's visual inspection list includes a hot air intake.
Last time my 2001 was inspected, I was tagged for having a silicone intake hose, the one between the air cleaner and throttle body. It had to be replaced with an original hose to pass.
So much of this in visual, the inspector had no clue it was a stroker. Guess it doesn't matter as long as it burns clean and the ECM is happy.

Not sure what an 1990 XJ air cleaner looks like. Is it like this?
https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts-list/1990-jeep-cherokee/fuel-air-cleaner.html?Diagram=000018Y7

Looks like a later model air cleaner except for the hot air intake on the front of the box.
The air cleaners are made of a plastic that can be glued with a plastic epoxy.
You may be able to take a later model box, cut the front out of your old box and graft the hot air intake onto the later model box.
Will an inspector notice the lack of the hot air intake? Depends on if it looks stock, the experience of the inspector and if the smog computer's visual inspection list includes a hot air intake.
Last time my 2001 was inspected, I was tagged for having a silicone intake hose, the one between the air cleaner and throttle body. It had to be replaced with an original hose to pass.
So much of this in visual, the inspector had no clue it was a stroker. Guess it doesn't matter as long as it burns clean and the ECM is happy.

Yes, the link you provided is showing my 1990 aircleaner box.

Did the later xjs have a warm up hot air hose to intake?

I don't know what they changed but my 2000's don't have any hose other than to the valve cover breather and the throttle body.

I wonder how drivability will suffer without the warm up ait hose? My old VWs have a warm up hose, my old Triumph does too. I will be doing a sub freezing Death Valley trip this winter in the XJ.

If the warm up hose is not needed for drivability, I can leave it off except for smog testing, use the good tight sealing later air box for all my dusty trips, and the leaky but warm air equiped air box for testing.

I am using my air box top, as it has provision for the valve cover breather hoses.

Anyone have an early XJ with warm up hoses, and knows how she runs with hose deleted?

1997+ XJ air cleaners do not have pre-heat hoses. Fuel injected engines usually do not need a pre-heat hose.
Living in most parts of California shouldn't require pre-heat either.

My '92 doesn't have it either, but then 91 and up is H.O. and 87-90 is RENIX.

Back