• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HO cluster to 4.0 swap?

Tcharles3

NAXJA Forum User
Bought a full cluster from a guy yesterday to swap out the stock one since mine doesn’t have a tach. I didn’t think to ask the guy yesterday but apparently this one came out of a 1996 4.0 HO. I have a 1994 2D 4x4 with 4.0 and a 5 speed. Will this work out? I saw mixed answers online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just realized I’m an idiot new to the Jeep world. Any chance someone could delete this topic? Lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also am a new guy and member to the NAXJA. I am in a similar position as you with some questions and some basic understanding of what to do. The Gen. 2, 1991-96 are all supposed to be compatible. I just ordered a used upgraded instrument gauge cluster and am waiting for it to arrive before ordering an more necessary parts. Two parts on my order list will be an oil pressure sending unit (MOPAR part no. 56026779) and a coolant temperature sending unit (MOPAR part no. 56027012). I have located these at 1AAouto.com for $24.95 and $19.95 respectively. There may be better and/or less expensive sources? There are some install guide sources out there as well on this forum and I found one on jeepin.com, XJ Gauge cluster sway that was very helpful. I am unsure if I will need to get additional connections or harnesses to go to the two new sending units. Will wait and see what I get in the mail on Friday first. Also, I haven't found out what I need to do to have the new (used) unit's speedometer changed to match my current miles. Hopefully, the tach. hookup will be automatic but since I haven't done it, I don't know. Hopfully, this helps you out a little and maybe we can get some of our unknown questions answered as well.

Back