• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Naches Prerun, Satruday, June 19th

Willis

NAXJA Forum User
I'm back (like anyone missed me :D). I'm in my new (to me) house and all is well!

Hards91XJ and I are heading down to Naches to do a "prerun" of sorts. I'm going (mostly) to get familiar with the area and hopefully be able to pick a campground we can use as 'homebase' for NW Fest. We'll run a fairly easy trail or two, and get as much information about the area we can in preparation for the event. If anyone wants to join us, we'll be meeting at the Safeway in Enumclaw (will post time later), or for those coming from other areas, we can set up a meeting place in Naches or the surrounding area.

Let me know
Steve

willis, if you are lookin for a good campground, it depends on if you want to run the trails on white or chinook pass......if on chinook pass head a couple miles up past the gold creek station and whistlin jacks.....its right next to the river, really nice spot, i've camped there a couple of times.
word of advice on whistlin jacks....gas is spendy as hell, make sure your jerry cans are full.

Kris

ladywolf said:
willis, if you are lookin for a good campground, it depends on if you want to run the trails on white or chinook pass......if on chinook pass head a couple miles up past the gold creek station and whistlin jacks.....its right next to the river, really nice spot, i've camped there a couple of times.
word of advice on whistlin jacks....gas is spendy as hell, make sure your jerry cans are full.

Kris

Thanks for the info, I'll have to check it out. :thumbup:

Steve

Hey Steve, stop by the little shop/gas station at Greenwater (or REI, some other places) and pick up the Green Trails maps for that area. They show all the trails with enough detail that we don't get lost when we go up. ;)

When I got mine they were about $5 each.

If I had a little more of a heads-up about Saturday I could have come along and made some GPS topo maps of the area. :confused1 Unfortunately I had nothing going on and took an extra shift at work that day. :wierd:

Sounds good count me in , Oh thats me your joining up with!
You have to furnish your own food for the day :patriot:
SEE YA Sat.....MORNING.....

hey willis, no prob, any more questions just go ahead and gimme a jingle of some sort. have fun:)

for any of you later we should be in the Kaner Flat/Crow Creek camp area between 10;30 and 11;30 CB channel #3 .we will be 2 white xj`s and steve`s xj ,color?

The route we took was good.
Up Milk Creek to the trail to moon and funny rocks .
Then trail to Tripod Flats and out to Buck Meadows over to Taneum to I90 and home.
We did run into one spot where the Rangers were checking out vehicles,but no hassle .

hards91xj said:
We did run into one spot where the Rangers were checking out vehicles,but no hassle .

Were they checking out vehicles? I thought they were just having lunch. What were they checking for? Maybe just a quick visual if the vehicle is legal?

Steve

Willis said:
Were they checking out vehicles? I thought they were just having lunch. What were they checking for? Maybe just a quick visual if the vehicle is legal?

Steve

I was going to ask the same thing. Does Washington require OHV stickers or anything like that? I am a little worried about my glass packs. I have heard before that they will give you a ticket for having them because they are not spark arrestor approved.

erslll, last time i checked/heard, most jeep clubs wouldnt let people run glass packs, cuz its too risky and may cause a fire. as far as i know, WA doesnt require a OHV sticker, we've never ran w/ em.

milk creek, funny rocks, tripod meadows and everything is a good little run. glad you guys had fun:) Maybe yall need to head up by the lily pads also.

Kris

They asked the usual friendly stuff because I was first they thought I knew something ,then; What kind of exhaust system is your buddy running?
He knocked his muffler off cumming up a short hill run, so he stuck it back on and away we went, the muffler didn`t make it very far ,it`s history so is his radiator he had a overheat prob on the way home.
The sheriff was on the main road ,they do check for orv stickers on cycles and quads, tires to wide and mud flaps and non approved mufflers, and litter bags and they do ticket sometimes.
I`ve never been asked about a NW Pass. So I `ve never got one.

Last edited:
hards91xj said:
I`ve never been asked about a NW Pass. So I `ve never got one.

Have been checked about a half dozen times...and actually had a party member receive a ticket for not having one. Ours weren't just looked at through the windshield...they were looked at to make sure they weren't expired, then the reg numbers of them written down along with license plate numbers. ;) Don't know what they go for now, but they were about $35 or so the last time I bought one. That's annual, so I was able to attend snow runs with it. :)

The Northwest Forest Pass is a parking permit, not required for running the trails. It is required if you're "parked" and not moving though. ;)

Back