• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing Question;. Am I Squatter?

jeffnboise

NAXJA Forum User
'97 Sport, 4x4, 4.0. Jeep as brand new Crown HD leafs, Bill 5100s and Moog progressive coils with 1.75 spacers. RV is single axel, just under 2K. Hitch is 2" with a 2" drop. I'm new to towing, but it looks like I'm squatting. Would a hitch with more drop help? RV doesn't look quite level. Suggestions??
a42d37de316d53dbde3bb12246576c8a.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hitch isn't going to change the squat in the XJ rear

Add a leaf -- helper spring type thing in the rear leaf packs might

Can you change to tongue weight on that trailer? Anything loaded in the trailer gear wise?

Maybe do your best to keep heavy items in the trailer towards the rear of the trailer, behind the axle

Drop hitch will get the trailer level, but will not change the current level of the jeep.

My suggestion would be a 2-3 inch drop hitch, and air shocks in the rear of the jeep. You should be able to get both riding level with those 2 changes.

Do not remove tongue weight without first measuring tongue weight. Aim for 200-300 lbs tongue weight. With a trailer that small you can even use a bathroom scale to check it.

Drop hitch will get the trailer level, but will not change the current level of the jeep.

My suggestion would be a 2-3 inch drop hitch, and air shocks in the rear of the jeep. You should be able to get both riding level with those 2 changes.

Do not remove tongue weight without first measuring tongue weight. Aim for 200-300 lbs tongue weight. With a trailer that small you can even use a bathroom scale to check it.
Can I run with it? Or do I need to fix before taking her out?

he is certainly right -- I made the mistake of assuming you had too much tongue weight

Not enough tongue weight is worse than too much -- the trailer will sway wildly at speed with too little tongue weight

Can you lift front of the trailer by yourself not using the trailer jack?

he is certainly right -- I made the mistake of assuming you had too much tongue weight

Not enough tongue weight is worse than too much -- the trailer will sway wildly at speed with too little tongue weight

Can you lift front of the trailer by yourself not using the trailer jack?
Yes.

I have the exact same springs on my XJ, regrettably, Moog springs suck.
XJ sits perfectly level, you have added spacers, you have to be squatting before you connect your trailer.

I pull a trailer every day. Keep your tongue weight at 10% of load. Assuming that your popup is 1800, your tongue should be 180. At 180 there is no way your XJ should have the stance you show in your pic.
This trailer has about 400lbs at the tongue, truck should not drop more than 1". You only have about 4" of down travel anyway.
I used to pull this trailer with my MJ, GS springs, never squatted more than 1/2", with my current GS springs, I doubt it would drop at all.

You'd have been much better off with OME 930 with no pucks/spacers.

Last edited:
I have the exact same springs on my XJ, regrettably, Moog springs suck.
XJ sits perfectly level, you have added spacers, you have to be squatting before you connect your trailer.

I pull a trailer every day. Keep your tongue weight at 10% of load. Assuming that your popup is 1800, your tongue should be 180. At 180 there is no way your XJ should have the stance you show in your pic.
This trailer has about 400lbs at the tongue, truck should not drop more than 1". You only have about 4" of down travel anyway.
I used to pull this trailer with my MJ, GS springs, never squatted more than 1/2", with my current GS springs, I doubt it would drop at all.

You'd have been much better off with OME 930 with no pucks/spacers.
Sadly, this is the "Upcountry" set up that many people have recommended. Would an EQ hitch help?

EQ hitch is overkill for 180lbs of tongue.

With that little popup and new springs..........shouldn't be squatting at all.

Don't know what to tell you.

I weigh 190, if I sit at the tailgate of my XJ........virtually nothing happens, doesn't squat, essentially that is what is happening when you hook up your trailer.

Last edited:
If you did the moog upcountry coils (782) then put the spacer in there's your problem.

The rear springs and 782 coils raise the front and rear of the jeep 1.5ish inches and you added 1.75 spacers so you lifted the front over 3 and the rear 1.5

[FONT=&quot]I now that the thread is old, but I'm just looking for an RV and I understand that I can take just a simple and budget one.[/FONT]

Is this gtraller good for camping that you have and are you pleased with it? Frankly speaking, I'm afraid to take such small because it seems to me that all our things will not fit into it and there is not enough space for sleeping and making foods. I would like to make there an incorporated kitchen, shower and washing/drying machine like these https://www.palmgear.com/best-rv-washer-dryer-combo-reviews/ but indeed, it will be difficult to use them if we take such a compact model. So, I think, that probably the best option is to collect more money and buy something larger.

Is this traller good for camping that you have and are you pleased with it? Frankly speaking, I'm afraid to take such small because it seems to me that all our things will not fit into it and there is not enough space for sleeping and making foods. I would like to make there an incorporated kitchen, shower and washing/drying machine like these https://www.palmgear.com/best-rv-washer-dryer-combo-reviews/ but indeed, it will be difficult to use them if we take such a compact model. So, I think, that probably the best option is to collect more money and buy something larger.

Travel trailers can be rented, you can determine if something similar meets your needs.

Back