• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ Sport 4.0 Crank no start Think I made it worse

jcfinkel

NAXJA Forum User
Good Afternoon Hive!

I have searched the forum a bit and ran through a lot of checks. This is where I stand.

2001 XJ Sport 4.0L Automatic. My Nieces Car.

Driving slow speed in parking lot. Car dies. Crank, no start condition.

In my garage now. Cranks, no start. I can hear fuel pump prime. Fuel at Schrader valve on fuel rail. I used Starter fluid in throttle body while cranking, not even a stumble.

Screams no spark.

Replaced CPS no joy

Tested coil packs, got a fault in 3,4 coil, replaced coil packs, no joy

Checked all fuses & Relays no joy

Swapped a PCM from my 2000 XJ, no joy.

Here is the fun part, swapped 2001 PCM into my 2000 XJ, starts & Dies after 3 seconds (SKIMS right??) but looks like PCM out of 2001 XJ is not the no start issue! Yea!

Put original PCM back into my 2000 XJ, Starts & Dies after 3 seconds. I appear to have killed the SKIMS coding in the PCM?

So I now have 2 non running XJ's in my driveway......

ANY insight into EITHER XJ issue would be HUGE!!!!!

Do the fuel gauge and voltage gauge work or display properly during the no-start ?

Is or was the Check Engine Light ON ? What CEL trouble codes are present, or were recently observed ?

CPS = CRANKshaft Position Sensor ? You bought a genuine Jeep CPS and not a crappy Chinese clone CPS, right ? Have you inspected, tested the CAMshaft Pickup Sensor and related wire plug and wire harness ?

The anti-theft Sentry Key Immobilizer System SKIS/SKIM is comprised of the chip-in-key reader device (SKIM), the chipped keys, and the initialized PCM programming (SKIS). If you put a non-SKIS enabled PCM into a SKIM equipped Cherokee, the SKIM programming will LOCK UP the swapped in PCM because it thinks somebody is trying to bypass the chip-in-key to steal the Cherokee.

All 97-01 PCM's have the Sentry Key Immobilizer System present but the program is not active unless it is enabled with a DRB-III Scan Tool, or it is self-enabled by any PCM swap or PCM swap theft attempt.

Last edited:
IIRC those steps re-initialize the rolling code algorithm of the key-less entry module in the Cherokee to the keyfob remotes.

Changing the PCM ROM, enabling SKIS/SKIM, or unlocking a SKIS locked up PCM requires the use of a DRB-III Scan Tool.

Last edited:
Did you check the injectors with a NOID light? See how they react. I had this issue with a 2000. The NOID light would flash when I let off the key. By someone's suggestion, I replaced the ignition key relay. Check NAPA's price. I remember $50.

Thank you for the insight.

Turns out Nieces XJ needed a CAM synchro.

My XJ needed the PCM SKIM deleted.

Both jeeps back up and running.

Best

J

Back