• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM Overhead temp sender?

99XJLove

NAXJA Forum User
I was just wondering if anyone knows where the probe for the Temperature in the overhead console is located? Last night it was about 90ish out and it was reading 128* The compas works fine but not the temp.

Right behind the front bumper, straight down from the middle header panel support.

99XJLove said:
Okay thanks, I will have to deal with it when I chop up my front bumper!

Its not mounted to the bumper, it will be mounted to the front crossmember/radiator support. It will not read accurately when sitting in traffic, it picks up heat from the engine.

xjtrailrider said:
Its not mounted to the bumper, it will be mounted to the front crossmember/radiator support. It will not read accurately when sitting in traffic, it picks up heat from the engine.

Is there a place that you can move it to? It sounds like it picks up from the radiator then.

i was thinking on moving it near the vaccum bottle on the passenger side, twords the fender. it would pickup less from the radiator there...

If you want, crim and install wire so you can run it to the rear of the vehicle, on the driver's side (not to pick up exhaust heat, of course!)

Or I suppose you could mount it inside the bumper, towards one of the sides. I'd try that first before making a vehicle length extension harness :)

99XJLove said:
Is there a place that you can move it to? It sounds like it picks up from the radiator then.
There's no reason to move it. It will pick up from the radiator if you're sitting at idle but it clears back to ambient temp very quickly once you start moving again. Moving it elsewhere under the hood may cause problems with it not cooling back down as quickly.

bumper1.jpg

Jim www.yuccaman.com

yeah, it is kinda fun to see how high it will climb while wating for your Big Mac... we had a '00 WJ grand cherokee and it's temp sensor was on the drivers side behind the grill, and it never seemed to pick up any "extra" heat, what about an upgrade to a newer chrysler temp sensor???

That may be a good idea to go with a new temp sender, maybe it is a little more accurate now. My problem is that even when drivin down the road at 40mph the gauge still seems to be off.

Back