• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix Yes or no?

Dzjens

NAXJA Forum User
I'm new to this forum and I was hoping that someone could provide me with some advice. I am thinking about buying a 4.0 Jeep Cherokee of '89. What are the experiences with the Renix system, intelligent buy or not?

Renix if fine. The difference in horse power is more in the way it is measured than in reality.

all depends of condition and price. i have only had the renix stuff so i am not one to answer your question. but i am starting to really understand the system and it's complex simplicity.

I think the price is fair, its 2250 Dollar. The Jeep has a 3" lift, 31" tires(6 of them), warn winch, snorkel, 120 000 miles and a very clean interior.
Over here, this is a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Where is here?

Not a horrible price here.

Depends on what you want to do with it. If it is a second car and a hobby, why not.

Parts are getting a bit scarce in Europe.

One Euro fifty to one Euro eighty a liter for gas is gonna make you cry, if you drive it very much (around $8 a gallon).

Going price for them around here is about half that, they are not sought after because of the price of fuel.

Make sure the modifications are approved, you may have some issues with inspection.

I have two and two in parts in the garage, don't listen to me I'm a hypocrite.:wave1:

Depends on what you want to do with it. If it is a second car and a hobby, why not.

Parts are getting a bit scarce in Europe.

One Euro fifty to one Euro eighty a liter for gas is gonna make you cry, if you drive it very much (around $8 a gallon).

Going price for them around here is about half that, they are not sought after because of the price of fuel.

Make sure the modifications are approved, you may have some issues with inspection.

I have two and two in parts in the garage, don't listen to me I'm a hypocrite.:wave1:

Every thing is listed in the fahrzeugbrief, and it will be used as a 3th car, play only.

RENIX.., lol, hmmm... Yes I have a RENIX! If it were not for the experts on this site I would be hard pressed to diagnosis my XJ's electrical system. Very few scan tools remain in the world which can be "plugged in" to a RENIX system for diagnosis. Therefore for those of us unlucky RENIX owners.., we are left to the standby volt/ohm meters, of which.., both digital, and analog models are necessary. So far with 200,000 plus on the engine.., it's been very dependable. Renix was only available for the years between 1987--1990, I believe.

Therefore it is probably prudent to find other XJ's around, i.e., either get a second one for parts, or.., a long shot perhaps where you live.., find them in a junk yard. Yes you could find most of all the parts you need to maintain one from sources in the U.S.A., and elsewheres on the internet.., and too from some members on this site, (as well as other sites), that might be willing to kick some across the pond to you. I'd help on that, but I have great problems finding parts for my own rig in Alaska.

The lift, winch, snorkel, six wheels/tires, etc., are expensive additions so you probably are getting a good price. The price is a moot thing, as in 'relativity', lol.

One thing to consider is to inform everyone on this site more information about the XJ you are looking at. Is it a 2X4, or 4X4? Is it, (kind of an apple, and organge thing)' an automatic, or manual transmission? The tranny is a big issue as many would say that the Puke manual is prone to failure, especially when hard running with big heavy tall tires, etc., as well as hard on that year's narrow wheel bearings My '89 manual tranny is holding up just fine, but I do 'baby' it; such as maintaining steady rpm running through snow, or mud. I chose not to go above a 2" lift in order to maintain driveline angles of degrees within 'stock' allowances of variance so as to not prematurely destroy propeller shaft 'u'-joints, and also not to have to expensively modify the transfer case. In other words, you can more easily gain more efficient, stronger, less expensive to maintain, and ease of modifications if you go to a 'newer' model. Seems '99 is the most prized.., but even 'it' has it's issues.

I chose '89 simply because it was available, and I had a deparate need for a 4X4, and it has been very dependable for me, again through deep snow, and heavily rutted mud/water filled one lane country trail type roads. With this XJ, I would never take on highly articulated rock climbing, nor balls-to-the-walls mud churning contests. However, if you are dead-set on the '89 for fun, consider taking out the rear stabilizer bar, (cut it in two), and obtaining front stabilizer bar disconnects, (such as JKS), which will allow you to disconnect for trail issues, gaining an additional 3"-4" of axle articulations, (but remember to reconnect for highway travel). There are many other modifications that will enhance an '89 XJ that you can find to turn your rig into a competant one, (be sure to check the "Modification" section of NAXJA). Since the radiator coolant system is a 'closed' type, you might want to go to an 'open' type. However, if you mess with any aspect of the '89 closed coolant system just remember to evacuate air in the system by pointing the vehicle down hill and allow the air to escape by temporarilly removing sending unit close to the firewall. Other than some of the above issues with the '89 year model, you get what you pay for.., lol, and then some... Sort of like a boat where you toss money into a hole in the water, (in order to float, and motivate). Since the '89 is old you might want to use phosphoric acid to make all rust inert, and then paint over all such areas. If your windshield is pock-marked with tiny microscopic craters, you might want to find a replacement. The braking system can be modified by learning from the modification section to this forum, as the '89 XJ brakes are lackluster in performance, (keep your distance, i.e., anticipate).

BTW: Dzjens.., I am looking for a battery tray from a diesel XJ, and am prepared to deal with you if you can find one from some junk yard over where you are at. Please "pm" me if you are interested in helping me, and ofcourse there will be others on this site who would also be interested in that item, as a lot of us want dual battery setups and do not want to fabricate them for various reasons. Also, there is some more info. that is not often shared on any forum due to some reason, or another that you will want to know about the '89 XJ, should you buy it.

LOL--Welcome to 'our' world of XJ's.., erhh.., ahhh.., good luck!?!

I have had both the OBDII and Renix engine management systems, obviously in different rigs and the thing I can say about the OBDII it that its easier to chase down gremlins in the system than a Renix is. Renix requires a bit of a learning curve and patience with old tech. Kinda like going from a robust Unix based OS with a nice GUI to an old punch card OS. Both require precision inputs, both give good outputs, its just that the user interface is more user friendly. I can say hands down, that when my Renix rig is dialed in it works just a tad bit better than the OBDII rig I had. I have recently done some work on the Renix Heep and have been taking in on about a 30 mile trip off and on for the last 2 months... Right now it is better than my OBDII was... I am averaging 20mpg, on the highway, it has just as good get up and go, and feels just as good. I'd say go for it. Be not afraid of the Renix, it is your friend.

1. In my neck of the woods, that price for any cherokee in that condition and miles would be a good deal. 2. Nothing wrong with the Renix system. I have a beat to hell 90 that I continue to beat on and it just keeps going.

Hello,

First of, thank you all for the input. Since you all are being so positive about this, I think I need to go get me that XJ

Being that I first had a RENIX Jeep and learned with a RENIX Jeep, I'd have to say RENIX, yes! I like never having a check engine light.

How do know what's wrong? Just experience and common sense...and NAXJA of course.

Back