• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 ZJ gas tank in a 2K XJ

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a gas tank from a ZJ. I've read all the threads but never saw anyone measure the XJ tank vs the ZJ. I plan to deal with the vent but the fuel pump is what I'm concerned with. The ZJ tank measures 9-3/4" from the fuel pump flange to the bottom.

What about a good brand of fuel pump? Does the small vent go to the evap system?

Did a Bosch pump in my XJ (with XJ tank), no problems.

I do have a ZJ fuel tank skid on mine, and when I removed the pump that came with it, the assembly said "ZJ" on it, so I think you'll be okay.

Unfortunately the Bosch is no longer available!

I followed Mark's lead and did the AEM pump. It's technically a performance upgrade (higher volume) but I figured it was probably also higher quality.

I need the whole assembly as I'm trying to put this all together ahead of time so it is "plug-n-play".

While nobody has responded back on the tank measurement, I did find something from one of the manufacturers. The XJ pump measures about 12-1/4" in O.A.L. so I am assuming it's the sane as a ZJ pump. I'll know more when I receive one. Right now I just need to choose a brand, I'm leaning towards Carter or Delphi as they seem to be the best of the available choices.

The electric plug(67649) won't fit a 2000 and I want to stay "plug-n-play". I will take measurements of everything as I go along. I did order a Delphi pump and I do have a factory skid plate

We'll I got the tank done today. Since there is no adhesive that works with HDPE I took extra cautions. I was lucky to find a PEX stub ell that was the perfect length once cut down. Besides extremely rough sanding, I also cut annular and linear grooves in both the plastic and the copper. That along with proper cleaning, I used JB weld so I don't believe it's going anywhere.
P1080623_zpsmkejyni0.jpg

P1080624_zpsjthwbnyj.jpg

The fuel pump depth is a mute point. I just received my pump and realized that it is spring loaded! I'll also get my SS hose quick adapters today but I won't get my lock ring till Thursday. Does anyone know what the lock ring torque is?

From the 2000 XJ FSM.

"Fuel Pump Module Locknut . . . 74 N·m (55 ft. lbs.)"

Not having a lock ring wrench that can be connected to a torque wrench, I spin the ring on and use a homemade spanner wrench to to get it good and tight.
Be careful to keep the rubber ring in position when tightening.

New issue, I ordered my fuel fittings based on the ones I used on the fuel rail redo in front and they were 5/16". I'm measuring the one on the new pump and it is a 3/8". I don't know where they made a transition but I would need to re-order some fittings.

The only filter on a 2000 is in the tank. Had a look at it last night and ordered some new fittings.

Right now I'd like to know any tricks on getting the pump in. I envision using a dental pick/o-ring tool to get it started?

Any updates on this project?
I'll have my skid off in a few weeks and am contemplating the ZJ tank swap and updating to a high volume AEM fuel pump at the same time, in prep for my stroker.

No, I have all the parts/pieces but have been to busy doing other things.

Correct, it's the original pump so it's 20 yrs old plus I'm not going to stick a old pump/filter into a nice clean tank. It also allowed me to get the proper fittings, I'm still surprised by the 3/8" to 5/16" transition. I also bought new vent and filler hoses so everything will be new.

Back