• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i got two problems with my 1998 XJ a trans issue and airbag issue

Trey98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I GOT A 1998 AND MY AIRBAG LIGHT SEEMS TO CUT ON AND OFF AND NOW ITS ON ALL THE TIME I USED TO SMACK THE DASH AND IT WENT AWAY LOL NOW ITS ON ALL THE TIME NO MATTER WHAT, ALSO IN THE PAST I HAVE HAD MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COME ON AND TURNED OUT TO BE THE TRANSMISSION RANGE SENSOR????? OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT, I RESET IT AND IT WENT AWAY BUT COMES BACK AFTER AWHILE DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS BUT WHEN ITS ON IT DOSENT GO INTO OVERDRIVE WTH!? LOL

A lot of parts stores will pull the engine related codes for free. The airbag codes probably won't show up on the same scanner, it takes a more expensive higher end scan tool to show airbag codes.

The airbag light may give you a clue if it flashes for a few minutes before turning solid. Typically a number of flashes, then pause, then another number of flashes, usually indicating a two digit code.

There also was a recall on the airbag module when they were mounted under the passengers seat and the solution was to move it under the center console. I also had this problem and all i had to do was clean the plug behind the gauge cluster and put a little grease in it because they like to vibrate out of place over time.

Hope this helps

My last jeep did that too. When the light is on the airbag won't deploy. Thankfully, i was off when I hit that Mercedes! Five minutes before that the light was lit up. My newest Jeep did it once but its because when i unhooked the airbag to change my cruise switches out i didn't get the plug all the way in!

Back