• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuild or Replace?

MoparManiac

NAXJA Forum User
'91 2-dr 4.0L AW4 NP231 d30/8.25 192k miles

I bought this XJ for $600 :D back in Aug '05 after I sold my '85 Dodge Ram mainly as a better commuter into Boston for school (I live on the south shore ). I do take it off-road about 2-3 times a month even though it is my DD. About 2-3 months ago it developed a knock that we've just decided to call piston slap since we've no clue what else it could be (intermittent knock, no loose flexplate bolts or cracks, runs really well with good power, etc).

I haven't had to throw too much money at it and I have yet to have any major issues with it. Transmission shifts like new, 4wd works great, no rear end or front end noises to be hugely concerned about (just a popping in the front end - trac bar?). I also had plans to run a Rustys 3" lift and get skids, tow hooks, etc.

Now my main question comes...this summer I'll be working alot and I have been thinking about it after talking with my dad, should I continue throwing money at this thing and rebuild the engine and whatnot when it comes time, or should I save money for a newer XJ and sell this one or keep for parts? It does have a lot of miles on it and it is 15 years old, but nothing major has happened yet (knock on wood). I guess I'm really just looking for advice?

what shape is the body in? Have you pulled the carpet to make sure the floorboards are rusting out? Any fatigue cracking by the steering box?
If the body's in good shape then you may look at buying a newer wrecked XJ for cheap and swapping drivetrains.
If it's got cancer then keep it for parts, and find a newer one to build.

It does have a fist sized hole under the drivers side floorboard with some cancer on the rockers. The previous owner put some body putty over the rockers so I have yet to see the actual shape of them.

Back